Cermaics mixed with metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShortyRocK

Cermaics mixed with metal

#1 Post by ShortyRocK »

Anyone hear of the doing ceramic braces on the front teeth (that are seen) and metal in the back? Does that work? is it cheaper then all ceramic? and do a lot of Orthodontists offer it?

Shoegal

#2 Post by Shoegal »

I think that is really what most people with ceramic actually get. That is what I have, my front 6 are ceramic. I have metal on the bottom. I had all metal for about 4 mos and then moved out of state. The new ortho wanted to start all over and I then chose to go with ceramic which I love. I thought the metal called a lot of attention to my mouth and made it look very dark...If I had to do it again I would get the ceramic, no question!

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

I have 8 ceramic on top and 5 ceramic on the bottom. All the rest are metal. I had the standard 6 ceramic on the bottom, but knocked off a lower bracket before my bite opened up so the ortho replaced it with a smaller metal bracket. I think a mixture of ceramics and metal is pretty typical.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

my ortho told me that there are no ceramic brackets for the very last teeth in the back...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ShortyRocK

#5 Post by ShortyRocK »

My Ortho told me $500 added to price of metal for top ceramics but i wonder if he ment all of the teeth i hope it will be less money for just the 6 teeth and the rest metal.

ShortyRocK

#6 Post by ShortyRocK »

He also said he doesnt do bottom ceramics isnt that werid?

ShortyRocK

#7 Post by ShortyRocK »

well today i got my spacers in it took 5 mins and i feel fine.i asked my ortho about getting front ceramics and back metals he said no way is he doing it . its one or the other and doesnt seem like he likes options its always this way or that way he basically said quit being a baby and get metal so i guess thats what im doing.

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

:shock:

My ortho was very accomodating with my choices. I got front/top 6 ceramic (Opals) and the rest metal. That is VERY common in his practice. It was an additional $200.

I am an adult and my ortho treats me like one. If he didn't, I would have found one who did treat me like an adult.

Best wishes to you, I think you'll be happy with metal all over. If it's what your ortho does best, go for it! I just hope he was joking about his "baby" comment.

And...keep us posted! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Meryaten wrote:My set-up is that I have the front 8 teeth on the upper arch in ceramics (GAC Mystique) with plain metal brackets on the second premolars and teh molars banded. On teh bottom I have all except the molars (they are banded) in GAC In-Ovation metal brackets.

I gather that some orthos do not like to use ceramics on the bottom because they are a little bit larger and there is therefore more chance of damaging your upper front teeth on the lower brackets if they are ceramic.
Same here...my pre-molars and molars are metal brackets...my ortho told me that I can't have ceramic on them. And he also said I can't have ceramic on the bottom. I am just glad that the lower teeth aren't showing as much as the top ones...but I still am scared how I am going to look once the bottom are braced

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ShortyRocK

#10 Post by ShortyRocK »

My ortho made it sound like its impossible to do ceramic and metal he doesn’t seem very flexible I’m sure metal will be fine but man these spacers are annoying its only for 2 more days.

butterfly

#11 Post by butterfly »

My 8 teeth in the back of my mouth (the last 2 each quadrant) are metal, the rest is ceramics.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

jennielee81

#12 Post by jennielee81 »

ShortyRocK wrote:My ortho made it sound like its impossible to do ceramic and metal he doesn’t seem very flexible I’m sure metal will be fine but man these spacers are annoying its only for 2 more days.
Do you live in the United States?

Just curious...I've noticed, on here, that many European orthodontists don't offer many options to their patients.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ShortyRocK

#13 Post by ShortyRocK »

I live in New York