does it hurt worse with the bottom braces or the top?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brat 2

does it hurt worse with the bottom braces or the top?

#1 Post by brat 2 »

I am getting my bottom braces put on February 23rd. For those who had the top on first and had the bottom ones put on later, do the bottom ones hurt worse?

I don't think I am a weany but when I had my arch wire changed for the first time I couldn't eat anything hard for 2 weeks. My daughter doesn't complain about her braces as much as I do. I keep telling myself that it is because my teeth have been in their position longer than hers. She thinks I am just a big baby :-(( .
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing for weeks now. Let me know how it goes for you!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

For me, I found the bottom braces to be twice as painful as the upper ones! :shock: Adding powerchains on the bottom, with new upper brackets, a new wire, and more powerchains really made it fun! It was really hard to chew anything for a while but I think that was partly because of my wacky bite! :?

Some people find them not much different than uppers though! :roll: I had my bottom braces put on almost 18 months after uppers! :shock: Me and my complicated case! :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup: :banana:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

Jesslzz 01

#4 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

For me, I found the bottom braces to be twice as painful as the upper ones!
Yes, hanna164, I just got my lowers put on four days ago and I can't believe the pain! My uppers went on on January 9, and my lowers about a month afterwards. They were a breeze compared to the lowers.

I read over here that the lower teeth are usually more stubborn to move, maybe that is why they hurt so much. I'm a full metalmouth now and I'm oficially part of the soft food club. My molars don't match the way they used to and every tooth hurts. I'm amazed, I thought I was being lucky so far...well, no. Where did I left that ibuprofen??? :wink:

I don't want to scare anyone but be prepared just in case...Good luck!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

brat 2

#5 Post by brat 2 »

Great!! I was hoping it wouldn't be any worse than the top. At least I have been warned and I will be prepared with plenty of ibuprofen and wax.

It is great having so much support from everyone here. Thanks so much, it makes it alot easier when you know there are so many people that know what you are going through.
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

dena

#6 Post by dena »

in terms of teeth soreness, my bottoms and tops are the same...but i t hink the bottom braces do dig into the inside of my lip more, which sometimes hurts

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

for me, my bottom ones were less sore (although they were virutually straight before hand so that may be why) but they caused my mouth and gums more pain and canker sores than the upper ones.

they still do....that's why I want them off so bad!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

drazda

#8 Post by drazda »

I think my top hurt more and are more sore. I guess I'm in the minority.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

bckydgardnr

#9 Post by bckydgardnr »

I found my bottom to be much more painful, however, it was mainly my molars that had to be rotated back into the right position. Once my ortho got them straight, my bottoms have not hurt at all.

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

sedona

#10 Post by sedona »

I'm in my 6th month with my upper braces & my 5th month with my TPA.
My lowers were installed 4 days ago.
With the uppers & TPA I experienced extreme PAIN.
And so, it has been a pleasant surprise that I have had little pain with the lowers.
This is especially surprising since my teeth on the lower jaw are much more crowded and out of position.
I have the "wonderful" Halloween pumpkin look going on,
but very little pain.
Perhaps my tolerance for pain has been substanitially raised?

tkais

#11 Post by tkais »

My top braces were a lot more sore than my bottoms, but I think it was because my tops had more to move. The bottoms are a breeze.

belmikry

#12 Post by belmikry »

it all depends on your severity on the bottoms in comparison to your tops, and your individual teeth- my tops hurt way more, but I have alot of crowding up there :P

good luck, and just remember we're all here if you have any more questions!
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Amberchick

Re: does it hurt worse with the bottom braces or the top?

#13 Post by Amberchick »

I got my bottom braces on today, and my mouth is killing me. I got my top on about 3 or 4 months ago and only had pain with 1 tooth for 2 days, but i was able to eat perfectly fine. As of today I've cried 3 to 4 times because of the pain and my teeth hurt very much. I can't eat and all i did was sleep, taking some pain medicine, and drink smoothies or milkshakes which helps a little at the time. But my mouth is very sore and i would never hope to experience the pain again.