Color ligs are out of fashion???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

Color ligs are out of fashion???

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

When I was on vacation, I noticed a lot of teenagers on metal braces. But NONE of them wore color ligs. In fact, I have never seen any other braced person with color ligs over where I live, all of them wear clear (transparent) ligs on metal brackets. :shock:

I met a friend of my sister who had been in braces last year and she told me the minute she saw my braces..."why blue?" She was surprised, like it was something new to her. I'm out of fashion for wearing color ligs?

I'm wondering if I should get back to the clear ligs again...I don't want people to notice my braces MORE just for being blue or any other color. I like colors, but is weird to be the only one who wear colors on the brackets. I like transparent ligs too, however I hate that they get stained and kind of show off what you have been eating/drinking...gross.

Sometimes I think, "what the heck, I can start a new trend and wear different colors any time I feel like it..."

But other times I think the brackets look a little bulkier with color ligs. I'm not sure! I'm not a person who loves to be in fashion all the time but I have this doubt and I can't make my mind.

What do you think?

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

I'm a teenager and I still wear colored ligs! That's interesting, although a little scary that they might be going out of style. Thankfully I haven't noticed that at all here-all the other people who I see with metal brackets have colors

Have fun with your braces, I find that's the best way to pass time
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

I agree with Evelyn, I'm 22 and have light blue/light green alternating on the bottom and plan to change my colors often. Let's face it, the color is the only thing we can control with our braces, we might as well go all out. :)

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Being different is beautiful. Don't care about whether others are wearing colors or not, if you like them, go for it :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

drazda

#5 Post by drazda »

I'm not brave enough to go colored. More power to you, jess.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

Hmmm. I don't care if it's out of style. I like the colors and I'm almost 29. I just couldn't go with the plain ol silver ligs or chains. Most of the people around here I see with braces are kids and teens and they definitely like color. Don't see too many adults around here with them.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Lucifina

#7 Post by Lucifina »

I have ceramics and was disappointed...I wanted metal because I thought the ceramic looked like you were TRYING to hide the fact that you had braces so I got black ligs! I love them. People who notice them think they are neat too but even my best friend told me that she can't even tell I have braces. A lot of the young folks around where I live are still all about the color though. I agree w/ CelestialVoices, might as well have fun while ya got em :-#)
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

Where did you go on vacation? I'm 16 and everyone I know who has braces has colors. The one reason I didn't want damons was because I wanted colors so I could change things up once in a while. I know a freshman whos ortho doesn't offer colors, and she is really bummed about it!

Echo

#9 Post by Echo »

I will be 35 next month (although I don't look that old!) and I have had colored ligs the whole time except once. I thought I would try the silver, but it was boring, and I couldn't wait for my next adjustment so I could change. I only have adjustments every 12 weeks so that was a bummer. I had my adjustment last month and went with purple. I have also had light pink and light blue which I loved. The color of my braces in my avatar looks awesome in the picture, but they didn't look like that in real life. They were supposed to be purple, but they looked more of a pink color. I do love the purple I have now. I may go with light pink or light blue again next time. My son has black powerchains right now which look really nice too. I hate having elastics that don't match my ligs though. They stand out way too much. I ordered some colored ones, but even though the size is the same on the package, they don't have nearly the same pull as the ones my ortho gave me, so I guess I'm out of luck.
[/url]

weird_wired

#10 Post by weird_wired »

For something like braces, I really couldn't care less about "fashion". At the end of the day they are somewhat strange, medical appliances, so if I want coloured ligs or clear ligs or whatever, I just couldn't care less what people think.

I wear what I like and what suits me. I just don't care about other people's opinion on something like this, any more than I would if I had a plaster cast and people thought it was "unfashionable".

Jesslzz 01

#11 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Great ideas!

mackenzie, I live in Argentina, and went to the south (Patagonia) for a few days. I'm guessing now that maybe all the teens around here don't dare to ask for colors...Over here doctors can be very intimidating and they usually don't give choices. I would love to see more people in color ligs!

I believe I will ask for more colors on my next appointment, and maybe try again the clear ones just for seeing how much they would stain in a month :lol: I really want to try purple, I see your pics with purple ligs and I love them. Your braces look really cool, Echo!

You are right, color is the only thing I can choose with braces! I guess there are a lot of opportunities to change. It would be great if we could change the ligs more often though...

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

Lin

#12 Post by Lin »

I was braced recently and had lilac ligs put on... I love them! I think people do notice them, but it's pretty hard to hide the fact I have braces anyway, so why not embrace them?

For what it's worth, I have two clear "bumper" type ligs on two bottom brackets. I find them disgusting, because they have turned orange-brown after all the spicy food I eat and the coffee or tea I enjoy every so often. But that's just me... maybe it doesn't bother some people.
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

dkt3

#13 Post by dkt3 »

As a teacher I know that colour they is not out of fashion for teens. Colour is still in but I have noticed a lot of teens with clear tops and metal bottoms with colours. I think the older they get the less they care about colour.