Lips getting hung on braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pokergirl

Lips getting hung on braces

#1 Post by pokergirl »

Well, I got one problem resolved (flossing) only to encounter another problem. For some reason when I talk or laugh my top lip is hanging on my braces. I haven't noticed it until today. My braces are feeling a little looser today and I was thinking maybe that's the reason. Has anyone else experienced this before?

drazda

#2 Post by drazda »

I have that same problem. My top lip gets stuck on the hooks. I've had this problem the entire 3 months I've had braces. I don't think there is anyway of fixing it other than using wax. I wish I didn't have to have the hooks until I'm ready for the elastics.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

I also use chapstick, that helps it stick less.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Same here when I smile big. Chapstick helps.

Bianca

#5 Post by Bianca »

Yep, me too...

or if I am trying to talk while running.

It's a total pain in the butt, I recently created a beginning running group so I would have people to run with, and we are all chatting and getting to know each other during the runs.... only it's nearly impossible to chat while doing an easy run because my mouth is dry from breathing and my lips get all stuck on my braces.

:) oh well, they seem to like running with me anyways!

It's a two year process.......

chinadoll

Use wax!

#6 Post by chinadoll »

Hi pokergirl,

The same thing happened to me my first few weeks, but on the bottom. I just used a lot of wax on those bottom braces.

I just had my first adjustment and for whatever reason, my lips are no longer getting stuck on those brackets. So, it's probably just a temporary thing!
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

Anticipator

#7 Post by Anticipator »

KK wrote:This is an annoying one pokergirl ... I've found the main things to help are lip balm and keep your body well hydrated.

Good luck with finding ways to make this better! :banana:
Hydration is definitiely an important part. I know I have the most problems when I haven't been getting enough water (or have been drinking things that decrease my water content).

I've still got the same problem, and I'm over a month and a half in.

I'm hoping that when my wire and brackets get straighter it will help. I'm optimistic that it's my upper laterals being too high that are causing some of it.

The lip catching thing and the awkward way I have to close my mouth after smiling is half the reason I'm not smiling more.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Same here. I only have that problem on one of my canines that has a hook on the bracket...very annoying but I notice it less now. I remember the first few weeks I was so self-conscious of this...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Shawnie

#9 Post by Shawnie »

Yep, same problem here.

Thanks everyone for the tip on hydration, never thought about not being hydrated enough as contributing to the problem.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

mia_cro

#10 Post by mia_cro »

I already have a 12 mm overjet and when you add ceramic brackets to that....major problem!!!
I'm pretty annoyed with that since it's in my job description to talk a lot and smile all day long... (I'm a rep)
My lips got sore yesterday just after a long coffee with a friend, I can only imagine what will happen when I'll have to do it during the tourist season... I'll just keep a bottle of water at hand and hope for the best...

weird_wired

#11 Post by weird_wired »

I had this a LOT at the start. Use masses of lipbalm, the oilier the better. (I find LUSH lipbalms very good for this, and tasty!)

Now I get it mainly over my temporary wire hooks - the ones my ortho created with wire ties for the extra elastic - but I then just bend the hook back a bit.

Leslie022

#12 Post by Leslie022 »

The inside of my lip gets stuck on my lower brackets. I just laugh at myself. :lol: I find that my lips stick especially after I've been sleeping.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

tandi

#13 Post by tandi »

i'm only on my 11 day and i'm finding that this is the most annoying thing about braces. you're having a conversation, you smile or laugh and you can't disengage :oops: