Expander Blues :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Silverware

Expander Blues :(

#1 Post by Silverware »

I've had my expander for a week now (upper.. the one that looks like an X) and I'm really discouraged about the speech impediment it causes. I had a very slight lisp with braces, but this thing adds a huge noticeable difference to the way I talk. I really hate it.

One of the assistant's at my ortho's office told me it would go away completely in a couple days. I will admit that it has gotten a bit better, but it is faaaaar from gone. I have a presentation to do tommorow and I'm extremely nervous about how I am going to sound in front of a room full of people. I can't pronounce any words that involve using my tongue on the roof of my mouth. Mostly I am having problems with the long "E" sound (key, teeth, me, etc)

Is there good news for me? I've got this thing for the next 3-4 months (even though my premolars are spacing out quite a bit after only 1 week, and I keep fooling myself wishing my ortho will surprise me with an earlier removal). I really don't want to have to sound like this for the next 4 months. When I decided to get braces, I never once imagined I'd have to deal with a speech problem. It's something that really discourages me from the whole procedure and makes me wish I never got braces :soremouth:

ren

#2 Post by ren »

Hi Silverware-I'm going on 1 1/2 years with an expander in my mouth-I can tell you that I still hate it! I think you're speech will get better because of the type of expander you have-which sounds a lot different than mine. I know it's hard-but try to talk as much as possible. I've actually become a human thesauras-if I think I'm coming up to a "hard to say word" then I quickly think of a different word that's easier to say! I try to keep telling myself everyday that I won't have this thing in my mouth when the braces are off and I will NEVER have to live with this again!!! I try to take it day by day-trust me I know how hard it is as I've been living with this waaaay toooo looong.

As far as good news- you won't have to wear it as long as I do- 1 1/2 years of misery & counting.....yours will be off in less than 1/2 a year!
Renee

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Silverware,

I have had a Quad-Helix expander for 3 weeks and I had a slight speech problem also. It will get better. Mine got better after about 1 week but was almost back to normal after about 2 weeks. I still have a very slight problem but not really noticeable. In fact, now I sometimes forget I have the expander, unless I'm eating, but that still isn't a major problem.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

CelestialVoices

#4 Post by CelestialVoices »

Hi, I've had a Porter Appliance since late October (which I believe is similar to a Quad Helix) and it took me about a week to get over my speech problem too, sometimes I still slur my S's but most people don't notice. Having it is no big deal unless, like other people have mentioned, I'm eating....then food gets stuck in it. I know things will get better for you, try not let yourself get too discouraged! :)
CV

Silverware

#5 Post by Silverware »

Thanks for the encouragment guys :)

Silverware

#6 Post by Silverware »

Lately when I've been turning the key the appliance makes a loud clicking noise. Is this strange?

ren

#7 Post by ren »

hi silverware-I don't remember my expander making a clicking noise...maybe you should call up the orth and see if that's normal. Just to ease your mind :)
renee

Silverware

#8 Post by Silverware »

When I went in for my last adjustment he tried turning the key and it didn't click. Since then, it keeps clicking when I turn it, but I see the new hole and I feel pressure as it expands.

It's weird. Maybe it's the way I'm sticking in the key? It might be slipping on something in there as I turn it...