Significant other of the Newly Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sedona

Significant other of the Newly Braced

#1 Post by sedona »

OK -- let's hear it from the other side.
What has been your reaction from your 'significant other' being braced?
Has it had an impact on your relationship?
Do you still find he/she attractive?
Any other comments?

nimo

#2 Post by nimo »

Me: I'm getting braces.
Him: All right. How long, a month, two months?
Me: No....try two years.
Him: REALLY? Wow!

Later....

Me with braces, crying: I feel so silly!
Him: Oh, don't feel bad, I love you.
Me still crying: I feel so stupid.
Him hugging me while I snot and drool all over his shirt: Don't cry, I love you!

It's been a variation on one of those conversations for the past couple of months.

I haven't been giving as many kisses because the braces are so pokey and I'm still learning how to deal with them. Other than that, he loves me, and supports me.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

Mr. Ingy had braces when he was a teenager, so he is very understanding and supportive.

Anticipator

#4 Post by Anticipator »

My significant other had already had braces for a year when I got mine on.

She's been rather blase about the whole thing. It definitely seems to be a bigger deal to me. Maybe because she's had a year to get bored/accommodated to hers already, or maybe it's just a bigger deal to me emotionally.

Either way, it's a nice bonding experience. We clean together, have ortho appointments on the same day, and she's generally helpful with advice (although obviously no replacement for this board :P )

She says I look a few years younger, but hasn't said anything else about my appearance. I hope I don't look too goofy.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I'm going solo. So the upside:

No one to complain about brackets, dodads I buy, cost.

Downside:

No shoulder to cry on. No one to gripe to.

If a woman complains in the house when no one is there to hear her, is she really complaining?

Samantha08

#6 Post by Samantha08 »

Well, sometimes I feel like Im less attractive, but my boyfriend doesnt think so. I've actually motivated him to get braces as well, and he's 21.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

Mine was a bit neutral about me getting braces, because he couldn't see anything wrong.

When I showed him the progress photos on my page - specifcally the one showing the change in my lower arch - he was won over.

oklanole

#8 Post by oklanole »

I have not been in braces long, but my wife had something funny and a bit embarassing to say to me when I got braces. She said "I want to make out with you because your braces look so cute on you!" :oops: Of course I was in pain from the extractions and the braces, so making out was the last thing on my mind.

mia_cro

#9 Post by mia_cro »

My boyfriend still hasn't seen me,that will happen this weekend when I go for holidays to meet him. He really hated the idea since he thinks they are a major turn-off. I told him to better develop a fetish for them or I'll find someone who likes it. :lol:
His major concern is love life... I read some interesting stories related to this topic...

weird_wired

#10 Post by weird_wired »

mia_cro wrote:My boyfriend still hasn't seen me,that will happen this weekend when I go for holidays to meet him. He really hated the idea since he thinks they are a major turn-off. I told him to better develop a fetish for them or I'll find someone who likes it. :lol:
His major concern is love life... I read some interesting stories related to this topic...
Well if he's not supportive, ditch him ;)

Braces are temporary. Crooked teeth are permanent.

Way Too Old For This

#11 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I love Mr. Kiwi's post. You two must be lots and lots of fun!

My DH thinks I am brave. I think he is thinking of this as just another one of my many many hobbies. He is very supportive and indulgent of my hobbies because it makes me happy, and I'm not someone he wants to be with when I'm not happy!

He does know it would never have been an option for him because he likes instant fixes. (He did porcelein veneer thing)
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.