Losing my motivation - I am near the end?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freya333

Losing my motivation - I am near the end?!

#1 Post by freya333 »

Hi everyone

Some of you may remember me - I got braced up February 2005, so a year on my ortho tells me we are looking at another 6 months. I got my power chains on 5 weeks ago and am due to go back on Monday where I am DESPERATE for him to say I don't have to wait another 6 months - I am getting so fed up having all this metal in my mouth.

It seems to me the gaps on the top are all but closed - I have a small gap on the bottom right and also need to 'move my centre line across a few mm' on the bottom

So my qn is - anyone else who has been at this stage - how much longer did you have to wait to get your braces off? Might i be able to get my top one off before my bottom?

I know 'are we nearly there yet' qns can be a bit repetitive and boring but please help guys -i'm losing all motivation!!

Thanks, freya x

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

airxjordan24

#2 Post by airxjordan24 »

Dont give up now.. your so far into it. Hang in there! 6 months of having metal in your mouth isnt that long compared to the nice teeth you'll have for the rest of your life. goodluck, i wish i was that far into it
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Yes, I agree, hang in there! There may be some kind of waiting period once everything stops moving just to stabilize, so your teeth behave once the braces are off. Maybe it is an old wives tale for orthodontics, but I think I heard it somewhere. You can always ask the ortho. I know when I get close to the end I am going to get really impatient (as if I'm not now). I don't think I need to have every tooth perfect as long as my bite is fab. This is why I got braces in the first place. I will definitely not be nit-picking at the end that's for sure! Fix my bite and let's get'm off!

freya333

thanks for your advice guys -

#4 Post by freya333 »

i know i am lucky really as some people have to have them on for years!

Well i have been to my ortho this morning and Karen i took your advice and asked specifically what needs to happen - he says i have a 3mm space on the bottom that needs to be closed, which should take 3 months or so, then it's just a case of uprighting an impacted wisdom tooth - which he bracketed this morning so hopefully shouldnt take too long.

The top ones are nearly there but he won't take them off at different times as they are needed to provide a counter force for the bottom ones sometimes??

Oh and speaking of which - I have had elastics on! I am not too sure what they do or what they're for but boy am i lisping!!! :D

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Hang in there. I'm pretty much at that stage too. I've had my final wires and power chains for a couple of months now and my last gap has all but closed. My ortho moved my upper arch wired a tiny bit as he wanted to move one of my top teeth a little bit so it was more central. And he reckons I've got two months left.

The time just can't go by quick enough, they all look so fab, for the life of me I can't figure out what's left to do, but it sounds as though I'll get the bottom braces off before the top ones, which I'm a little disappointed at as I've had the uppers on longer.

By the way why is it normal to take the bottom braces off first? Anyone know?

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

If he needs to do any elasticking, he'll need the top ones on, so that could be why. Better to keep them on then have to put them on again later.

Leslie022

#7 Post by Leslie022 »

That must be exciting to know you're almost done!!!!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Straightening your teeth is only the first part of treatment. The second part is making sure they stay there. If you quit too soon, your teeth will begin to migrate, and you don't want that. Be patient.