First Day In Braces..Anyone Got N E Tips Or Tricks?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amberfields

First Day In Braces..Anyone Got N E Tips Or Tricks?

#1 Post by amberfields »

Ok so today was my rist day in braces...got full metal upper and lower with blue o-rings. Gonna have em a year and a half to 2 years. The process of putting them on went pretty smoothly with no pain (except from that nasty tasting cement!) And, like you all predicted, braces are a million times better then those darn spacers!. Im havin a little bit of overall soreness, but nothing too major. Soo heres my routing so far..I brush 3 times a day, first using a small 'christmas tree' type brush thing to clean behind my wire. Then after every brushing i rinse with some listerine. After my bed time brushing i floss and coat my teeth with some brush on fluoride gel. Also im being extremely careful not to bite with my front teeth, although it is very annoying. Anyone got any thing I should be doin that im leavin out, or some tips or tricks for me? Because im extremely paranoid that im not cleanin these suckers good....exspeciall the molar bands (as mentioned in a previous post) and im deathly afraid of getting bad breath. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Guys!

JoeMama

#2 Post by JoeMama »

Hi amberfields. I have a SonicCare toothbrush and it seems to be working very very well. It cleans so well that I never find anything with the "christmas tree" shaped brush, although I use it anyway just to be sure. The only down side is that it's kind of intense when you first use it, so newly braced teeth might be a little freaked out. Good luck!

sydsmom

#3 Post by sydsmom »

Sounds like your cleaning routine is pretty reasonable to me! Mine is a little more involved, but I'm paranoid about getting cavities. I won't bore you with the details ;-). I do use a Sonicare for brushing, and highly recommend it if you can afford it. Otherwise, make sure you're holding your brush at an angle that will get between the gums and brackets.

Also, you may not be feeling any irritations on your lips or cheeks yet, but make sure to rinse with plenty of warm salt water -- even if you're not sore. It helps SO much!! And you won't develop bad breath if you brush your tongue.

Good luck with your first few days!! :-)
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Congrats on getting your braces. As it was said, make sure to rinse with salted water, and use wax when you need it.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

katmc_tx

#5 Post by katmc_tx »

amberfields I've had my braces on for about a month now and a few people suggested a waterpik. I went out and bought two of them, one for home and one for the office. I love it because it really cleans out all the food after a meal. Now I floss everynight instead of after every meal because I feel that the waterpik gets everything. Good luck!!!
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

I use a Waterpik, a regular brush, a proxy brush (what you call a Christmas tree brush), prescription fluoride mouthwash, and floss. For occasional mouth sores (which are hardly ever a problem anymore), I use salt water rinses, Glyoxide to affected area, and wax. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty solid routine going.

newsmile

hey

#7 Post by newsmile »

Hey,

I am getting mine on tomorrow. I hope it goes as well as yours seem to be doing. The spacers are incredibly bad! It seems like it can only get better. Unfortunatley (or fortuntatley) I got a call yesterday from an interviewing manager, and he wanted to schedule a job interview with me at noon. I will have to go straight from the ortho to the job interview - should be fun. He has never met me in person, so he will have no idea about how new the scrapmetal really will be!!

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

I can get most everything with a regular toothbrush now. Not at first though. I also give my mouth a serious water swishing around when I eat though.

- Missing Tooth -