cuspid teeth pulled, any pain??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

cuspid teeth pulled, any pain??

#1 Post by poloaa »

I will have one more (final) consultation this afternoon, most of my ortho have told me that i need two upper cuspid teeth pulled because i am 34, not growing anymore and i just concern how painful to have them pulled? How long does it take the progress to pull the teeth?? Noone supported me for the braces, except my husband and my best friend, all of my family saying i m wasting money to do it...that i feel bad about it, so, should i go for it or what? I know i m the one to make the final decision, but still frustrated me when they said, "not to do it".

Po

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

poloaa , don't let your fears or feelings of guilt prevent you from doing this for yourself!! I bet your family will change their tune when your teeth are all straight and pretty. They'll probably say "You should've done this a long time ago!" And I bet some of it is that they feel bad that they couldn't help you out. Do what YOU feel is right for you!!

As for extractions: I don't know about upper teeth, but I had lower bicuspids removed that were no problem to extract at all, and I was extremely nervous!

It took a while to do the procedure because the dentist wanted to make sure I was super numb and he went slowly so I could tell him if I felt anything. First they numb the area, you wait about 20 minutes for it to take effect, then the dentist takes pliers and starts wiggling the tooth and rocking it back and forth. By then, you should know if the numbing medication is enough or not. He'll wiggle and rock the tooth for several minutes, and then pull it gently out. You probably won't even know he did it. For me, I only heard a tiny little "cracking" noise (like when you bite into something crunchy.) It was no big deal at all.

Afterwards, I had no pain, just some throbbing. I didn't even take any painkillers at all, though I've heard others say they had to.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

sydsmom

#3 Post by sydsmom »

poloaa , don't let your fears or feelings of guilt prevent you from doing this for yourself!! I bet your family will change their tune when your teeth are all straight and pretty. They'll probably say "You should've done this a long time ago!" And I bet some of it is that they feel bad that they couldn't help you out. Do what YOU feel is right for you!!

As for extractions: I don't know about upper teeth, but I had lower bicuspids removed that were no problem to extract at all, and I was extremely nervous!

It took a while to do the procedure because the dentist wanted to make sure I was super numb and he went slowly so I could tell him if I felt anything. First they numb the area, you wait about 20 minutes for it to take effect, then the dentist takes pliers and starts wiggling the tooth and rocking it back and forth. By then, you should know if the numbing medication is enough or not. He'll wiggle and rock the tooth for several minutes, and then pull it gently out. You probably won't even know he did it. For me, I only heard a tiny little "cracking" noise (like when you bite into something crunchy.) It was no big deal at all.

Afterwards, I had no pain, just some throbbing. I didn't even take any painkillers at all, though I've heard others say they had to.

sydsmom

#4 Post by sydsmom »

poloaa

#5 Post by poloaa »

Thanks for the replies, i m so happy that i m lucky to meet this orthodontics today, i told myself this is the last one because i have seen totally 7 of them and he is nice, also very cheap. Yes, same old, same old, i need to have two cuspid teeth (upper) pulled and i will have the mold and xray appt on Mar.8, will update, thanks for all the support.

Po

joplin

#6 Post by joplin »

i need to have two cuspid teeth (upper) pulled
Poloaa, have they explained you why it is the cuspids they want to extract?

I'm asking because I had a cuspid situation myself and the one thing I learned was that the cuspids / canines are the last thing dentists and orthos want to keep intact in the patient's mouth. Usually they would rather look for any other option but extracting the cuspids, which are very strong and bitewise very important teeth. What is the problem with your cuspids exactly? Maybe there is a good explanation to this plan. Did the other orthos suggest the same procedure?
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

joplin

#7 Post by joplin »

Argh, I meant to say they are the first thing they want to keep - and the last thing they want to extract! Sorry :oops: I got a little carried away and got my words all mixed up...

learned was that the cuspids / canines are the last thing dentists and orthos want to keep intact in the patient's mouth.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

poloaa

#8 Post by poloaa »

Hi all, all my ortho said that i need to have my two upper cuspid teeth pulled because i have my overbite teeth, not enough space for them to move at my age, they will probably pull the second or the thrid cuspid teeth, not sure until they got the mold done, so could u pls let me know what other teeth they usually decide to have them pulled???
Thanks for you all again.
Po

michael33

#9 Post by michael33 »

I hate to be honest but, I'm 33 & had 2 bicuspids removed. The novacaine did nothing, the extractions only lasted a few minutes but it was just pure pain. The bleeding didn't stop for 24 hours straight.

joplin

#10 Post by joplin »

they will probably pull the second or the thrid cuspid teeth,
Ok, that changes things: bicuspids are the ones they most often extract in orthodontics. I thought you were talking about teeth #3, that are called cuspids, canines or eye teeth. Sorry I misunderstood you!

Joual

#11 Post by Joual »

poloaa wrote:Hi all, all my ortho said that i need to have my two upper cuspid teeth pulled because i have my overbite teeth, not enough space for them to move at my age, they will probably pull the second or the thrid cuspid teeth, not sure until they got the mold done, so could u pls let me know what other teeth they usually decide to have them pulled???
Thanks for you all again.
Po
I saw an ortho that said he would remove my wisdom teeth, and I think 2 cuspids and 2 bicuspids. I can't remember exactly even though it was only 5 hours ago because I was in such shock when he started pointing out the cuspids & bicuspids. I did expect him to say that he would pull my wisdom teeth, though. He said that he would need to pull all of those teeth in order to move everything into its proper place.

I'm 28 and I have crowding on the bottom and an overbite. The ortho could also tell that I grind my teeth in my sleep. I have an appointment with another ortho in a few weeks, so I'll see what he says. Thanks to this message board I see that it's normal to remove bicuspids, but I definitely want to keep my cuspids.

Flora2006

#12 Post by Flora2006 »

Polooa, don't stress too much about extractions. Your dentist will numb the area and will make sure you are in no pain before doing anything. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006