Loose teeth???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

Loose teeth???

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Just wondering if this is normal. I have been braced for 2 weeks. I cannot see any noticible movement, even with pictures, but I can tell you that my teeth are pretty loose in spots. Some of them are very loose....like if I push on them they are like freely moving around. It is rather disconcerting to me. Is this normal?

Brandy

rsprouse

Re: Loose teeth???

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Brandy,

Perfectly normal to feel loose teeth. The wires and brackets are putting force on your teeth and the attacment apparatus. It creates tension and pressure points on opposite sides of the root. At two weeks you are having bone breakdown on the pressure side and bone deposition on the tension side. Give it a couple weeks for some more bone deposition and you should not see any mobility/looseness. Good luck

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Mine are VERY VERY loose. In fact the first time they changed my wire, I asked her if any teeth came out with it. Then I couldn't wait for her to put the wire back on so they wouldn't feel like they were going to fall out. She said that is normal. Sometimes they feel a little 'tighter' then they get loose again. I guess they can't move until they turn loose of the bone.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Way Too Old For This wrote: I guess they can't move until they turn loose of the bone.
I don't know if that is true...My teeth are making movement but they don't feel loose at all...at least I don't feel them loose lol.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Well that makes me feel a bit better. It is sorta freaky and I was worried that they shouldn't be so loose, but everything you have said makes perfect sense so I guess I will just learn to live with the wiggly teeth along with everything else! LOL.....

Brandy

sydsmom

#6 Post by sydsmom »

Yes, it is very strange and sometimes hard to get used to! Mine are very, very loose, too. But only some teeth are loose, not all. Right now, my lower front teeth are extremely loose. It's kinda freaky!! They almost seem to "bend" like rubberbands -- or, at least, that's how it feels. Ew :-(
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

My teeth are also quite loose! The funny thing is that some of my permanent teeth are looser than my baby teeth! :shock: Pretty sad if you ask me! :roll: I'm hoping the loosenes means that your teeth are moving! :wink:

~Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

LizzyG

#8 Post by LizzyG »

My teeth feel pretty loose at the moment, it is very strange. I noticed last night that one of my lower teeth (first biscupid I think?), if I press it with my tongue, makes a popping/clicking sensation and moves :shock:

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

kirst1583

#9 Post by kirst1583 »

KK wrote: The strange thing I've experienced is several months into treatment ... way out from an adjustment ... a lower molar started to ache ... sure enough it had begun it's rotation journey. I find it fascinating that it just started like it did ... but it sure was good to realise what it was doing.
I have that too. Completely random pain and movement in certain teeth. The other strange thing is that a week before every adjustment I feel my teeth become a bit tender. I'd never need the reminder call from the ortho!

Marzipan

#10 Post by Marzipan »

Some of my teeth feel loose. At certain times a different tooth will start to feel loose, one that hadn't felt that way before. The way my ortho put it is that after a month or so the jaw starts to feel "spongy" and then things really start moving around.

They say that bone breakdown can happen in 72 hours, but it takes 3-6 months for re-growth to become final. That's why even once your teeth are in the right configuration, you will still have braces for awhile, and why you will need to wear a retain full-time for several months after de-banding.

At first the loose teeth freaked me out a bit, but you WILL get used to the feeling. I'm 48, and if I can get used to it and deal with it, anyone can! (Because I'm such a wuss.)

Chypre

#11 Post by Chypre »

I started experiencing the sponginess in my lowers a little after two weeks. Fortunately I was expecting it, so it wasn't too disturbing. My upper archwire was installed 5 days ago and I'm already feeling it in a couple of teeth. It's going to take some getting used to. Right now I find myself biting down just to test for looseness!

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

Teeth have to loosen or they won't move. As far as visible movement, you won't see it for a while yet. I've been braced for 4 weeks and have only detected the slightest shift of 2 teeth. No one else would ever notice it. People with extractions seem to see the quickest movement, which makes sense because there's already a free space for the teeth to move into as opposed to other teeth having to shift first before others can straighten.