WILL I ENJOY FOOD ANYTIME SOON?????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MATEO'S

WILL I ENJOY FOOD ANYTIME SOON?????

#1 Post by MATEO'S »

HELLO ALL,
I JUST GOT BRACED ON TUESDAY. AND I BEEN IN ALOT ON PAIN, ALOT..
I HAVEN'T EATEN ALOT. JUST WONDERING IF I'LL ENJOY FOOD AGAIN. I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A BABY BUT THIS HURTS, IT HURT TO BRUSH, TO FLOSS, TO EAT...I HAVE TATAOO'S AND FOUR KIDS TWO OF WHICH ARE IDENTICAL TWINS THAT I CARRIED TO FULL TERM..SEE WHEN YOU HAVE A BABY THE PAIN GOES AWAY..BUT THE BRACES IT LIKE GIVING BIRTH OVER AND OVER AGAIN.. :oops: OMG . I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF IT GET BETTER. I ONLY IN BRACES FOR 1 YEAR.. THE ONLY GOOD THING MY ORTHO GAVE A VERY NICE BRACE CARE KIT WHICH INCLUDED A SONIC TOOTHBRUCH WITH THREE MODES ONE IS A MASSAGE AND I USE IT ON MY GUMS IT HELPS ALITTLE..NICE TOOTHBRUSH...THANKS FOR ANY COMMMENTS MATEO'S :(

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

Well, it might take a couple weeks like it did for me to really enjoy food again. In the meantime, it seems like a chore to have to eat, right? That's how I saw it! Believe me, as everyone told me, "you will get used to it". That may be small comfort right now, but time is the healer when it comes to braces.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I love food :) and even with my braces i still manage to eat anything i like. FOr the first few days it was really hard to eat things so i lived on soup and i remember trying to bite into a piece of bread and it hurting like :twisted:

But after a week or so i could eat pretty much anything. Good luck with re introducing solids again try things like pasta and toast.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

The first few days are always the hardest so hang in there because things will get better. Eating can be a bit of a challenge at first but you will get the hang of it and learn where and how to eat without it hurting too much.

Use wax as you need it and rinse with salt water; this will make the inside of your mouth feel better.

Hang in there - it will get better soon :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

The first few weeks are the worse. It was a bit of a pain to eat, they were sore and tender. Remember that each day that passes, the closer you are to being pain free. :)

Make sure to use wax as someone already advised, and also take Advil as needed. Keep hydrated and salt water rinses are good too.

Before you know it you wont be in any pain and you'll be back to eating as usual :) Hang in there!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

vanilla

#6 Post by vanilla »

Hey MATEO'S!
I'm sorry to hear that you are so much pain. It's really bad in the first few weeks (3-4wks for me and then after the first 3 adjustments). It just means your teeth are making real progress. Don't worry, you will enjoy food hopefully very soon.
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

Mateo,

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain! But I promise it will get better! You will be able to eat again soon! I totally understand your pain! :wink: It did take me a little while to be able to eat again after getting braces but for now stick to soft foods, soup is great!

Don't forget to use plenty of lip balm and wax!

Hope your pain goes away quickly! Keep us posted!

~Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!
Next Adjustment: February 28, 2006

nimo

#8 Post by nimo »

Spacers were the worst for me. Braces hurt when I eat, but I've just tried to get over it and eat things i know won't be too bad. I keep a mental list of things that don't work for me (green peppers, undercooked broccoli). Other than that, I've been EXTREMELY lucky. No pain other than eating.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Matteo, hang in there, it gets better. I know what you mean though by comparing this experience to other seemingly or should-be more painful events. I did one natural childbirth (9 pounder), and 1 cesearan, other major abdominal surgeries and orthopedic surgeries, and none of them threw me for a loop as bad as my impacted canine exposure. They told me I wouldn't even need to take off work for it. But, I was in extreme pain for about three weeks!

For me, now, each time they do something it hurts but I seem to get over it faster and faster each time. Now, my teeth are rarely really sore for more than 24 hours after adjustments.

I still have trouble chewing some foods though because of my bite, but not because of pain.

I think massaging the gums really helps. I use my water pik to massage mine when they are sore.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

MATEO'S

#10 Post by MATEO'S »

THANKS FOR ALL THOSE WHO REPLYED..MY MOUTH IS STILL SORE. BEEN DRINKING ALOT OF SLIMFAST AND EATING OATMEAL AND APPLESAUCE..JUST FOUND OUT THAT I DON'T EVEN LIKE APPLESAUCE. :shock: BUT I HOPE MY PAIN WILL EASE UP ALITTLE SO I CAN EAT..I MISS SOILD FOOD :( BUT I KNOW IN THE END I LOVE ALL THIS PAIN WHEN I LOOKK AT MY PERFECT SMILE..WHILE IM EATING SOME SOILD FOOD :D THANKS MATEO'S

WiredNana

#11 Post by WiredNana »

Hi Mateos!....

Having gotten braces the same day as you, I totally understand!

Just finished my daily soup and trying to mash-down a Nutri-Grain Bar with a Instant Breakfast chaser......this is actually a big advancement from yesterday...it's a day-by-day thing I guess......I've lost 7 lbs. since the spacers two weeks ago and can not afford to lose much more. (I'm not real big to begin with.)
Hope things improve for you soon.........

Wirednana (Deb)

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

When I first got braced, I ate only soft foods (mashed potatoes, bananas, milkshakes, soup, etc.). The thought of biting into a sandwich just seemed impossible. 10 days later, I was eating just about everything again. Some foods are harder to eat than others, but if you're patient, take small bites and chew a bit longer you can do it. Shoot, I eat raw carrots... but carefully!