Question about my upper lip :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bianca

Question about my upper lip :)

#1 Post by Bianca »

Heaven forbid I actually ask my orthodontist anything while I am there. I swear, I step foot into that office and it's like I turn into a brainless mute.

But now that I am away from my orthodontist my questions come back to me.

I have an upper overjet (no pics online yet) and my mouth has always been open when at rest. My upper lip just kinda hangs while my upper teeth stick out, and my lower lip is kinda a resting point for my upper teeth.

I am kinda worried that my upper lip will never fall into place correctly. My lower lip seems kinda full, but my upper lip is thin. Maybe there just isn't enough upper lip to become a normal mouth? Will my upper lip ever be comfortable in a closed mouth position?

Really - I am a normal looking woman, and when I smile everything looks fine with an overbite, it's just when my mouth is at rest my lips seem completely mismatched.

Now that I sound like a total freak - does anyone know what the heck I am talking about? :) I know it's hard without pictures!

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this!

It's a two year process.......

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Bianca,

Sounds like you are a freak!! Ha Ha, just kidding :wink:

This is perfectly normal growth and development of your body. Orhodontics can help quite a bit in your facial profile and shape. Most people look just fine before orthodontics but the change in profile will be quite evident to you. By the completion of treatment you will most likely have a near ideal occlusion, but you will also have a different profile (acute angles at the base of your nose, lips should come together at rest, etc). Typically it only accentuates one's beauty so it is something else to look forward too. Your bottoms lip will most likely appear to thin out a bit as it pushes back and your upper lip will look a bit more full as it comes into contact with the lower one. Just be patient and make sure you pay attention to it as the transformation can be quite impressive.

Good Luck,
Rory

Flora2006

Re: Question about my upper lip :)

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Bianca wrote:Heaven forbid I actually ask my orthodontist anything while I am there. I swear, I step foot into that office and it's like I turn into a brainless mute.

I am the exact same way. My brain just freezes whenever I go to my dentist or ortho. lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Take a look at this before and after picture...

http://www.ormco.com/damon/inTheClinic/ ... tieH19.cfm

Maybe this will help....

I am sure you can find others on the internet...

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Bianca, I am sure your lips will go together perfectly once your teeth aren't in their way. I am like you, I can't remember anything once I get into doctor's offices. I take notes in with me so I don't forget my questions.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

drazda

#6 Post by drazda »

I have the same problem. My arches are in a V shape, so they will be changing the shape to a U without any extractions. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

materialsgirl

#7 Post by materialsgirl »

Bianca wrote:Heaven forbid I actually ask my orthodontist anything while I am there. I swear, I step foot into that office and it's like I turn into a brainless mute.

LOL! Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this problem!!! :lol:

Svensk Tiger

#8 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I have an upper overjet (no pics online yet) and my mouth has always been open when at rest. My upper lip just kinda hangs while my upper teeth stick out, and my lower lip is kinda a resting point for my upper teeth.

I am kinda worried that my upper lip will never fall into place correctly. My lower lip seems kinda full, but my upper lip is thin. Maybe there just isn't enough upper lip to become a normal mouth? Will my upper lip ever be comfortable in a closed mouth position?

Really - I am a normal looking woman, and when I smile everything looks fine with an overbite, it's just when my mouth is at rest my lips seem completely mismatched.

Now that I sound like a total freak - does anyone know what the heck I am talking about? :) I know it's hard without pictures!

I'm so glad you posted this, mine are exactly the same! I've been hoping that they'll look more normal after my treatment ends and feel much better after reading your replies!!!
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Svensk Tiger

#9 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I'm so glad you posted this, mine are exactly the same! I've been hoping that they'll look more normal after my treatment ends and feel much better after reading your replies!!!
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007