HELP! I can't talk plain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joygoss

HELP! I can't talk plain!

#1 Post by joygoss »

Oh boy! I got the distal jet put on yesterday (I guess it's like a pendulum) and I am having the HARDEST time talking! The bad thing is, I'm on the phone all day. I sound like a big moron. I doubt anyone is taking me seriously and all of our patients keep asking me to repeat myself. My boss is getting the biggest kick out of it, but it's really embarassing! I had a meeting today and I was mortified! Again, the boss was laughing discreetly.
Anyway, does anyone have any tips for learning to talk properly with this thing in my mouth? Thanks, everyone!

Indy

#2 Post by Indy »

Hi Joygoss

I've had a pendex for the last 4 days (which is moving 2 of my molars back) and I've been told my speaking is better. However, I still have some trouble speaking. So I guess it will get better with time and practice.

I read on your other post that you'll only wear it for 2 weeks?! Be happy, I'm on the 3-5 month journey with this thing :roll:
Lastly,I understand the trouble with your job. I'm a therapist so it will be interesting to see if my clients say anything.
Good Luck

joygoss

#3 Post by joygoss »

Actually, I may have jumped the gun on the two week thing. I'm getting my braces on in two weeks and assumed this thing was turning into just a retainer at that point. Not sure, but I paid extra for clear braces, so I hope these big silver things are gone soon.

Good luck with your patients!! My speech is somewhat better today (nothing to write home about) and I still have to repeat everything. What fun!