Permanent lisp??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace15

Permanent lisp??

#1 Post by BraceFace15 »

I've had braces for a year, and a removable appliance for a couple of months now. Will the lisp ever go away? :oops: You'd think my teeth would be adapted to these things by now! Especially since I talk all the time. :wink: Anyone else having this problem?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I only have my top braces right now and my speech is a bit different' I can't seem to get used to the braces and how I talk. I can't even imagine how I will talk when the bottom braces get on...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

kktomyris

Lispiong

#3 Post by kktomyris »

I got my bottom braces on today which seemed to actually help my speech, since I already had the tops...it was like there was suddenly too much going on in my mouth to worry about how I was talking. I also read to my daughter every night and I try to pick the Dr. Seuss books with alot of sssss so that I can practice. My daughter dosen't seem to mind <grin> Karen
KKTomyris
braced top January 31, 2006
brace bottom February 28, 2006
overbite
minor crowding bottom

vanilla

#4 Post by vanilla »

Hey BraceFace15! I've had my braces for almost a year and I've got a lisp. I feel like it'll be there forever since my front upper & lower teeth don't meet anymore. I'm hoping this changes cos it's been really getting on my nerves for the last few month :GapToothed:
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

BraceFace15

Re: Lispiong

#5 Post by BraceFace15 »

kktomyris wrote:I got my bottom braces on today which seemed to actually help my speech, since I already had the tops...it was like there was suddenly too much going on in my mouth to worry about how I was talking. I also read to my daughter every night and I try to pick the Dr. Seuss books with alot of sssss so that I can practice. My daughter dosen't seem to mind <grin> Karen
I don't need braces for the bottom. :cry:

BraceFace15

#6 Post by BraceFace15 »

vanilla wrote:Hey BraceFace15! I've had my braces for almost a year and I've got a lisp. I feel like it'll be there forever since my front upper & lower teeth don't meet anymore. I'm hoping this changes cos it's been really getting on my nerves for the last few month :GapToothed:
Thanks for responding, Vanilla! I've always had a slight lisp so I'm sorta used to it. It's never been this prominent, though. :shock:

Good luck! :D

Emily