For when it overwhelms you...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lin

#16 Post by Lin »

I keep my motto in my signature here (take a look below).

The way I look at my own braces journey, it's a big personal challenge for me. I am one of those people with a low tolerance for pain and a lot of dental/medical-related phobias. I also have depression, and this can compound the other problems. I knew this would be tough, and the hardest part (surgery) is yet to come... but the way I see things, my life isn't worth living unless I take some risks, take on some challenges, and face my fears in forward steps to improve myself as a person, inside and out.

It might look like I'm straightening my teeth to others, but the truth is I'm straightening up a lot of other stuff inside me at the same time. I can either make the best of my life, or sit in a corner for the rest of it, wondering what could have happened if I had tried.
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

Billie

positvity is the answer

#17 Post by Billie »

Dear Lin,

I'm sorry to hear about your depression, I know by your positive outlook that you probablly don't want sympathy, but I can sympathize as I have had post-partum depression with my first child, it is not easy, but your outlook is a great answer for many that suffer from depression.

Keep goin!!!!!!!
Billie
Be Blessed

JoeMama

#18 Post by JoeMama »

I like this thread too. I've had a hard time with my braces because my mouth is sensitive, and even though I'm not in pain, I have a pretty constant headache. Sometimes it's hard to stay positive. It's actually really nice to read other's thoughts.

I keep reminding myself that the meaningful things in life, the things where we learn and grow the most, are usually NOT the easy things. Now if this 18 months would just HURRY UP and go by! :wink:

innocentsmile

#19 Post by innocentsmile »

Glad so many people have replied! I think one of the most important things mentioned is not making a big deal of it yourself. Over Christmas i was so conscious the whole time :oops: but when i came back to college there was so much on i just kinda...forgot... to be conscious of the braces! And its incredible because that week i had so much fun and felt really great, not unattractive or awkward at all...so its all about your own perspective.

One other little thing i sometimes do...its really annoying looking forward to something so far away (getting them off in two years time) so try to break it down, look at how your teeth will look so much better by your birthday, a family wedding, etc. and that even if other people only see the braces YOU will know, at that event, that you're well on your way!

By the way, my bday is next month and i intend to smile in all the pics with an open grin :D

mytch

#20 Post by mytch »

I don't have a motto per se, but for everyone going through tough times, try and think about the braces as a solution to more problems then just crooked teeth.

For example, if you're a 20-something guy (like me), having straight teeth could mean:

- You're more confident talking to people (especially girls), thus you make more friends and/or go on more dates

- You can finally pursue something you wanted to do but didn't have the confidence to do before, such as acting/a job dealing with people, etc

- When your braces come off you can look back at all the photos where you had to pretend to pull a stupid face in (instead of smiling because you were too embarrased) and just laugh

- You realize that getting braces at your age is probably the bravest thing you could have done, so other things you thought you couldnt do (such as maybe getting a better job, buying a house, finally talking to the girl you work with) are nothing in comparison

Just a few things I'm sure everyone can relate to.

serendipity

#21 Post by serendipity »

I think my signature comments sum it up for me... :D

" If you want the rainbow, then you've gotten put up with the rain..." & " Life Goes On..." - Something that my orthodontist said to me, I think he saw that I was abit apprehensive about the whole thing - what he said is so true though (although I didn't buy it at the time lol )...Life really does go on...no biggie. :lol:

Congratulations to everyone who went through with getting braces, its a big commitment but the payoffs are priceless - price - HA, now that's another thread. :roll:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

Slawdawg

#22 Post by Slawdawg »

Great quotes and bits of advice, folks! I've never had any real surgery of any kind, and I'll have two procedures done before this journey is over. The thing that gets me through it all is remembering my sweet wife who, at 31 years of age, was cracked open and had a heart valve repaired. I figure if she can come throught that with the joy of life she now enjoys, fixing a few teeth nd jaw problems is a snap!
Braces: Feb 1, 2006
SARPE: April 5, 2006

JoeMama

#23 Post by JoeMama »

Ok, this is not the nicest thing to say, but today I had a meeting with a salesperson. Her teeth were pretty crooked and I could tell she wasn't confident smiling. And for the first time since I had braces put on I got really excited. It was a warm fuzzy feeling, that's not me anymore!!! I'm fixing mine and soon enough these crooked teeth will be a thing of the past. YEA, can't wait. :D