How many spit now when you are talking since having braces!?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brat 2

How many spit now when you are talking since having braces!?

#1 Post by brat 2 »

I have noticed since having my braces on that I spit when I talk, which is quite embarrassing. I have to excuse myself and tell them that I do it because of the braces. Maybe I should keep disposible cloths with me to hand out when I talk. You think?! I also have a hard time pronouncing my words, especially when I am reading out loud.

I am a nurse so when I give report I am in close quaters and end up spitting on my report sheet. :? and sometimes theirs . OOPS!
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

drazda

#2 Post by drazda »

I thought I would do a lot of spitting, but luckily, I haven't.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

mtbrncofn

#3 Post by mtbrncofn »

Spit, drool...yeah all of it seems to come with the territory and at the most inopportune times! Elastics make the spitting waaay worse, I've noticed.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Yeah, I was pretty high on the "ewwww" scale in that respect when I had my braces. I think it's fairly common.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

joplin

#5 Post by joplin »

Now that you ask... One night, watching TV on the sofa, I casually said something to my b/f and simultaneously shot a tiny little saliva sample half way across the room. It was very embarrassing :oops:
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

materialsgirl

#6 Post by materialsgirl »

:oops: Yes... I have noticed that stuff comes flying out of my mouth more frequently now. I was singing along with the radio in my car, and the spit was just flyin'! :lol: I'll have to restrain myself in the presence of other people, I guess.

jennandtonic

#7 Post by jennandtonic »

I don't spit when I talk, but I drool in my sleep once in awhile when I never used to pre-braces. I do notice that I'm producing more saliva...I bet the body thinks the braces are food at first.

DaisyMay66

#8 Post by DaisyMay66 »

OMG...I can totally relate to the spitting thing!! After 28 months in braces, it still is an embarassing problem for me. Some months are better/worse depending on the way my bite sits or how many gaps I have.

Leslie022

#9 Post by Leslie022 »

I spit too. It's funny because I'll be talking and all of the sudden I see spit fly. I watch the people I'm talking to and they'll watch it fall to the floor. lol

I can also tell if I've been talking to much because my mouth becomes really dry and my spit turns to little bubbles...if that makes any sense.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

lol. I don't spit...yet...I only have my top braces on right now so maybe when I get my lower ones I will start.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

I spit and I smack my lips more when I eat!

Shelby014

#12 Post by Shelby014 »

yup i totally spit when i talk, but my friends are really nice about it. Thye just tell me i'm spittin on em and to try to be more careful. lolz
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

michael33

#13 Post by michael33 »

I have occassionaly launched some saliva projectiles in the general direction of people I've been talking to. My buddies get a kick out of it & we joke about it.

Ariesinatl

#14 Post by Ariesinatl »

What ith thith thpitting you sptheath of?? lol. Yeah I'm always gleeking or seeing little shooters when I speak. Ohh well I will gladly pay the price for straight teeth.

KathleenH

#15 Post by KathleenH »

Yes, I spit when I talk. I stopped after a while, and then I had surgery. Now it's worse. Same with the drooling, because I can't feel it until it's dripping off my chin. :oops:
Kathleen

Surgery survivor