Newbie: Metal versus elastic ligature

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kktomyris

Newbie: Metal versus elastic ligature

#1 Post by kktomyris »

I was reading the thread about different colored elastic ligatures. I don't have those...I have metal wire wrapped around each individual bracket, twisted and clipped and the ends pushed under the wire. Is this something that normally happens at the beginning of treatment and then they go to the elastics around your brackets later? I also don't have any rubber bands going from top to bottom yet but I have a feeling those are coming since I have an overbite problem.

I still have 3 molars that need to be banded and they are planning on additional spacers at my first adjustment (mid of April). They also set me up for 8 weeks till that first adjustment...I keep hearing 6 weeks...is this treatment plan within the normal range?

Just wondering since I have a very busy dentist and don't want my treatment to last longer than necessary due to his OVERwork load..

Thanks for helping out the new kid on the block.

Karen
KKTomyris
braced top January 31, 2006
brace bottom February 28, 2006
overbite
minor crowding bottom

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm pretty sure you have wire ties...which works the same way of the colored ligs. The advantage of wire ties is that they don't stain at all. And don't worry, that won't after your time treatment at all.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

kktomyris

Flora

#3 Post by kktomyris »

thanks for answering my question. I am sure at the end of this whole process I will a dental wiz too....UGH....time for more wax. Karen :?
KKTomyris
overbite
minor crowding bottom

materialsgirl

#4 Post by materialsgirl »

Good info, KK. :)

I just got braced yesterday, and got white wire ties on my top braces (I assume the white wires are the teflon-coated ones Karen mentioned) - this is what my ortho does if you don't like the staining that occurs with the clear ligs. For me, it shouldn't make any difference in my treatment time, it's purely an aesthetic thing. On my lowers, I have regular rubber ligs (in pretty colors, of course!). ;)

My ortho told me the time between adjustments would average 6 weeks, but could vary anywhere between 4 weeks and 8 weeks. My 1st adjustment will be 8 weeks after getting braced. :)

Marzipan

#5 Post by Marzipan »

Wish I knew the difference, too. I got braces in late December 2005 and they put on ligs. (My appointments are all 4 weeks apart.) In January 2006 I explained that the curled ends of the very lightweight archwire had started coming out. The ortho looked at them and had a slightly heavier wire put in with WIRE ties this time, plus a rubber band on the side. Then in February they left the same wire and wire ties, but added one chain - the whole point being that first a big side gap must close before anything else can be done.

At first I assumed the wire ties would "hold onto" the archwire better. But I'm not so sure. While flossing between lower front teeth, I yanked the floss out a bit too hard and it pull the archwire out quite a bit! It was a surprise but I got it back where it belonged.

So I don't know what the difference is. I didn't complain one bit about the ligatures, they didn't stain, I have metal brackets and silver ligs. I don't know why she decided to switch to wire ties. I DO know that if the little pointy ends of the wire ties start moving and scraping against the inside of my mouth, it's PAINFUL. More wax!

kktomyris

Response to wire ties and ligatures

#6 Post by kktomyris »

Thanks to all for the information and personal stories you have sent to me. It really does help to know that other people are going thru the same things and have some experience in what is normal <grin>! My next adjustment is in 8 weeks! Only 17 more months to go :lol:
KKTomyris
overbite
minor crowding bottom