Random notes on life with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mallory

Random notes on life with braces

#1 Post by Mallory »

I was pretty self-conscious the first month after getting the braces on, but now, almost 2 months later, I often forget that they're on.

Unfortunately I have not lost any weight after getting braces. On the other hand, this may be what I sacrifice for not feeling much pain at all (they only hurt for about the first week or two). After my first adjustment yesterday, I did not feel any pain. I have sores in my mouth where the braces rub, but they are not enough to hinder me from eating whatever I want.

I chew gum and eat popcorn all the time.

I hate flossing...it takes me about 20 minutes each time. So I confess that I only floss before my ortho appointments. Bad habit. And I brush my teeth morning and night, but during the day, only when other people can see food in my teeth and braces.
20 years old
college student
third time in braces
ceramic upper and bottoms
on: Jan 10 2006 off: 18 months

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Wow Mallory you must be quite a veteran of this, if this is your third time! I would love to hear more of your story!

I eat a little popcorn - not worth getting it out of my teeth. My worst thing is I can't stay away from caramel. I will keep it up until I bend a wire or break a bracket and then I will go back to being humble.

You should try to get your flossing routine down to like 5 minutes. Try some of the new threader floss out there.

When I was younger I practically never flossed my teeth. :lol: I can't get away with that anymore! I think I woke up one morning with a big piece of meat stuck between my teeth and said "ENOUGH"! THIS IS GROSS. That must have been my wakeup call.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Mallory

Re: jcdamon3

#3 Post by Mallory »

1st time in braces: 10-11 or so
2nd time: 13-14;
Wore retainers first few weeks, then stopped, complaining that they were too uncomfortable when I slept. Naturally, my teeth went back to their most comfortable crooked configurations. Annoyingly, some of my friends who have had braces before and also didn't wear their retainers have been able to maintain straight teeth granted to them by the god of Orthodontia (sorry Tom Wolfe). :x

I hope this time will be different...and it is, because I am more aware about braces and am paying for them myself this time. :?

I suppose I could have gotten braces even a year or so earlier, but I had this nagging fear before they were on that I would never get into graduate school because of negative impressions during the interviews. I haven't applied yet, and my worry is a little bit assuaged, but it is still there.

Has anyone ever been to a graduate school/law school/med school/ etc. interview with braces on? Any thoughts?
20 years old
college student
third time in braces
ceramic upper and bottoms
on: Jan 10 2006 off: 18 months

dena

#4 Post by dena »

i agree with all. i do have some weird rubbing this week but overall my pain is gone after 2 mos. however, my teeth have moved a lot so they arent sticking out into my mouth in painful places like they were before.

i also haven't lost weight. i've stopped trying and have been eating whatever i want. i sort of feel like this is a 2 year pass...i've been trying to lose weight gained for years...i decided that i dont care right now, but i will when the braces come off in two years...so that's my goal.

i'd just check with your ortho about flossing. my ortho told me he frankly didnt care if i only flossed once a month...he strongly recommended tartar control listerine twice a day though. so, i dont floss much...more than monthly but only about 2 times a week now on average (i used to be a marathon flosser!) I'm going for my first cleaning since being braced on saturday, so i'll report back about my dentist's take on my hygiene!

as for grad school interviews...i'm a grad studnt but was here long before the braces. i do however have lots of meetings and i have students...it's NOT a big deal at all, and i was pretty self-conscious at first.

good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months