What's Next For You After Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

What's Next For You After Braces?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

After my braces come off (in about 22 months, ugh), I've been told I'll need to have some gum grafts -- not looking forward to that, as I've heard it's pretty uncomfortable. But after that's done, my plan is to have my teeth professionally whitened and then have all my metal fillings replaced with ceramics to match my new tooth color. It will be expensive and a big PITA but when it's all over and done with I'll have an absolutely perfect-looking set of teeth!

How 'bout you? Anyone else looking at "graduate work?"

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

gum grafts:

How do you know if you need gum grafts? I am bumming right now because I am seeing those ugly triangles on my bottom teeth. I am hoping they can shave my teeth down and make those go away. I hope I don't need gum grafts but when I look at my gums I am wondering why they are so low. The teeth there were really crowded before so does this tissue have to stretch?

Whitening:
I will probably just whiten with Crest strips when I am done. I am sooo paranoid about damaging my teeth with whitener.

Filling: I have a nice big gold crown and I kind of like it! I only have one filling that shows when I smile. It bugs me because it looks like I have something stuck between my teeth there. I might get that one fixed.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Cookeez

#3 Post by Cookeez »

Gum grafts? Is that the same as crown lengthening? If so, yes the recovery for that was pretty uncomfortable. I had that done on about 4 teeth at ONE TIME. Anyhow, what are these triangles??
Bottom Braced 2/23/06

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Gosh how do I explain the triangle thing. I guess your teeth are shaped like triangles themselves so when they start lining up in a row they create a reverse triangle of space below.

If you gums recede a bit the triangle is more pronounced.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

butterfly

#5 Post by butterfly »

Bleaching by laser, bonding of some broken edges. And I want to remove those white spots somehow.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

As of yet the ortho says I'll just need a retainer after I get the braces off. Not too bad. And as of now I plan to wear the retainer faithfully, because I didn't pay for all this treatment just to have my teeth go crooked again!

ItsGavinC

Re: What's Next For You After Braces?

#7 Post by ItsGavinC »

ingyandbert wrote: and then have all my metal fillings replaced with ceramics to match my new tooth color.
It's your decision, of course, but if those silver fillings are holding up okay (which your dentist can tell you), then I'd leave them be. That's assuming they don't really show when you smile.

You never know what can happen when you replace a filling. On occasion some decay is found and the filling turns into a crown, or the tooth gets irritated and a type of pulpitis develops. That doesn't happen all of the time, of course, but it certainly causes me to think that fillings that are fine should be left alone.

ItsGavinC

#8 Post by ItsGavinC »

jennandtonic wrote:As of yet the ortho says I'll just need a retainer after I get the braces off. Not too bad. And as of now I plan to wear the retainer faithfully, because I didn't pay for all this treatment just to have my teeth go crooked again!
VERY good call. Teeth only need 5 grams of applied force to move. The lips themselves can apply 300 grams of force! The tongue nearly 500 grams!

Kell

#9 Post by Kell »

I have a filling that needs to be replaced with an onlay. I'll have that done when the braces come off. I'll also have my teeth whitened because it is included in the cost of my braces. I am looking forward to that.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

tandi

#10 Post by tandi »

i'll be getting veneers and a couple of implants. the cost is going to be outrageous, but i started this jouney i might as well go all the way.

ingyandbert

#11 Post by ingyandbert »

Gum grafts: your ortho will refer you to a periodontist if he suspects any problems with your gums.

Fillings: my metal fillings are 30-something years old and they do show when I laugh. I talked to my dentist about it and he sees no problem in changing them out. He's very conservative in his approach to dentistry, so I feel good about it. He said one back molar is becoming a candidate for a crown anyway, so that one would have to be done regardless.

momof2grlz

#12 Post by momof2grlz »

An implant, some bonding, maybe replace a couple silver fillings and maybe a crown. I'm not sure I'll ever be done repairing years of damage to my teeth caused by a terrible bite. Sure wish my parents had thought it was important when I was a kid.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Leslie022

#13 Post by Leslie022 »

LOTS OF SMILING! :D
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ingyandbert

#14 Post by ingyandbert »

Leslie022 wrote:LOTS OF SMILING! :D
Excellent answer! I hope that will be the case for all of us! :D

lilsisbet

#15 Post by lilsisbet »

I already had the silver fillings replaced (hanging head in shame - I think there were 14). Some were 25+ years old and it was time. But... as someone posted, you might end up with more than just a replaced filling. I also ended up with a root canal and crown. When the braces are off I will also need to get another molar crowned which is 90% filling at the moment.

I was going to get my teeth whitened after all the fillings were done and realized it still wouldn't make me happy about my smile. So I got braced. When the braces are off (hoping another 8-12 months) .... i'll finally do the whitening. As well, to correct a peg lateral and to reshape a canine to look like a lateral, I will also need to get at least two teeth veneered.

Then.... I can smile and save some $$$$$$.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!