Power chain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

Power chain

#1 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

I got a power chain on Feb 28 and what a pain this is
it hurt really bad for about a week and
I have to remove it whenever I want to eat and then put it back on
I hope I dont have to do this or to long.
I wonder why thay call it a power chain it's just a rubber band
Braced Sept-27-05

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#2 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you all I already swallowed one :oops:
Braced Sept-27-05

ren

#3 Post by ren »

hI R-A-M-O-N-E-S,

I've had powerchains for the past year so I know where you're coming from. Mine uses grey ones and those hurt SO bad. I have a clear one in now and that's not as bad, it closes up spaces slower.

How are you able to take it off? I would never want to mess with that thing as I probably would swallow it too!

Hang in there,
renee :D

Echo

#4 Post by Echo »

I think they might actually be talking about elastics, but calling it a powerchain. That's what it sounds like to me, because you do remove elastics, but not powerchains.
[/url]

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#5 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

Hey Echo whats up
You could be right,
I thought it was weird the Ortho calling a rubber band a
power chain.
Ren what are your power chains like ?
are they tiny little clear rubber bands ?
Braced Sept-27-05

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

I think you're definately talking about elastics, there's no way you'd take a power chain off and put it back on again. A power chain is instead of the seperate ligatures. It's one band that has holes in it which fit over you brackets and runs from one side of the archwired to the other holding it all in place. To get the thing on and off is always a bit tricky at the ortho and you need the little hook things to undo it.

Powerchains are used to close any gaps between your teeth.

I've had power chains top and bottom for a few months now, they're just holding everything in place and stopping any gaps opening up as well as closing a few gaps I did have.

PnkPrincess024

#7 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

is that what powerchains are for LoL. i really didnt no what was the difference between those and the normal ligs.
ive had my top braces since september and my ortho only gave me a powerchain for one month and since then ive had just the normal ones.

ren

#8 Post by ren »

hI R-A-M-O-N-E-S

I think you might be talking about elastics too? If you look at Echo's pic on her post you can see the pink (wicked cool!) powerchain that she's wearing....this is different than elastics which are little circle things that stretch into whatever formation the orth wants. I've been in elastics for about 1/2 year now and I do have to take those out to eat and I've probably swallowed one or two! I find them ALL over the house! You'll probably be in elastics for a while-I'm wearing 4 of them now so I know how you're feeling. They are a pain and they do hurt....but following the orth's instructions really is the best thing to do....plus they know if you've been wearing them or not-they just know!

good luck
renee :)