Does anyone have problems closing mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Super Soo

Does anyone have problems closing mouth?

#1 Post by Super Soo »

Have had brace for 5 days now and my lips don't close over my mouth properly. If I smile with my mouth closed it looks like I have cotton wool stuck in my mouth to make it bulge!

Naturally the most comfortable position is with my mouth open slightly.

Does anyone else have 'unnatural' lips after their brace?!!

Sue

x x
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I don't know about unnatural lips, but I couldn't close my mouth when I had molar bands. I close it anyways, couldn't stand drooling.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

When my mouth is at a resting position, it does not close. Before I had braces it didn't close either, which is the main reason I got braces... for my overjet. Hopefully, they will close after I get my braces taken off.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Bianca

#4 Post by Bianca »

Definitely.

I spent the first couple weeks wondering what I was doing, since I couldn't even begin to close my mouth with all this extra braces stuff.

It's been almost two months, and it's a lot easier to close my mouth... actually it's pretty cool because my overjet seems to be coming in a little, which makes it easier to close my lips then ever before - even with all the extra appliances.

Of course, now my teeth are totally out of their regular alignment so my bite feels all weird and not so comfortable!

:)

It's a two year process.......

materialsgirl

#5 Post by materialsgirl »

I have trouble closing my lips all the way too! I suppose I'll get used to it eventually, but now (3 days into having braces), I just don't know what to do with my lips. :?

sydsmom

#6 Post by sydsmom »

Same problem here, Super Soo! I had my first adjustment last week and got a spring up top, and now when I smile the thing pokes out in between my lips. The worst part is, it doesn't look like my braces so I think people are a little confused !!

I also had much trouble closing my mouth when I first had my braces put on. Depending on the amount of overjet you have, it should get better within a couple of weeks as your lips learn to stretch over your brackets better.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Super Soo

#7 Post by Super Soo »

I'm glad I'm not the only one anyway!

:)
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]