Alternatives to coffee?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Super Soo

Alternatives to coffee?

#1 Post by Super Soo »

Anybody got any good suggestions as an alternative drink to coffee. I want to give up (or cut down at least) as:

a. Coffee stains make my teeth look yucky
b. I drink far too much caffeine

When I'm in work coffee helps me get by - I suppose half of it is routine and habit.

Any nice tasting alternatives to get me through the day?

Sue

X x
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Bianca

#2 Post by Bianca »

I'm fighting the same battle....

My coffee house beverage of choice if I am not having coffee items is usually steamed milk with vanilla, which is kind of pathetic but yummy.

Some teas are good, but teas can also stain.

One tip about coffee - drink it with a straw when possible. It doesn't go on your front teeth as much that way.

It's a two year process.......

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I drink coffee more than once a day...i'm such an addict. I do drink my coffee with tons of milk though so it doesn't stain my ligs I find. So maybe try adding a lof of milk to your coffee?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

I drink green tea. I don't let the tea steep for very long so it doesn't get very dark. I can practically see through it. It still stains the teeth but has advantages over coffee. 1) I don't think I am addicted to the caffeine in it because I don't get withdrawal headaches. 2) I think there is still enough caffeine to wake me up 3) It doesn't give me that icky coffee breath

There are downsides to everything though. I like the idea mentioned above of putting milk in the coffee to keep from staining. You can't really do that with green tea. Although I have had milk in tea before. Starbucks makes a wicked tasting Chai latte, which I could easily get addicted to if I had that addictive type personality.

Good luck! I quit coffee cold turkey about 13 years ago when I was a single mother of an infant. I was stressed out enough - didn't feel like I needed a morning boost!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

mackenzie

#5 Post by mackenzie »

Try drinking your coffee with more and more milk instead of coffee gradually. This way you can get used to not having it and probably avoid caffene headaches if you get would otherwise get them.

Super Soo

#6 Post by Super Soo »

I do like having milky coffees anyway, but I suppose you can always add more!

I've been drinking loads of milk recently.....been having blended bananas with milk in the mornings for breakfast while I was on the liquid diet the first few days into my fitting and they are delicious, so I'll definitely be keeping those up!

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

Super Soo wrote:I do like having milky coffees anyway, but I suppose you can always add more!
In my coffees, half the glass is milk so yeah just add some more ;) It really does seem to work.., With my light silver ligs, I only got it stained when I ate Lasagna...So I was drinking coffee minimum twice a day for about 2 weeks before getting my ligs stained with that damn meal lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Super Soo

#8 Post by Super Soo »

ha ha, have not experienced the staining of the ligs yet but I am partial to a spaghetti and lasagne so I think I'll leave that until a few days before my first adjustment in case!

braceface1230

#9 Post by braceface1230 »

I had a problem with coffee staining my teeth. But there's no way I'll cut coffee out. I found Colgate Simply White toothpaste to work AWESOME. I recommend it to everyone. Maybe other toothpastes work great too, but I haven't really experimented too much but, I'm really happy with how this stuff works. I might not even have to worry about getting my teeth whitened after the braces come off. If anyone else has tried this stuff, how has it worked for you? All I know is, more coffee for me!!

brat 2

#10 Post by brat 2 »

I love my coffee too and I don't think I could give it up. Like Mookyyzed said about using whitening tooth paste, I use Mentadent whitening toothpaste and I don't have a problem with stains; from coffee anyway. The only thing I have found to stain my ligs was mustard. I started out with pretty blue ligs last week, I now have green :? I am not real crazy about green ligs, but what can ya do!?
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

Way Too Old For This

#11 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I am a total caffiene addict. I had to have a test done where I couldn't have caffiene for 48 hours before, and the test lasted 12 hours. I thought my head would split apart. They told me if I had caffiene by mistake it would ruin the test and I would have to pay for it anyway because they had to order up the 'contrast'. So I really checked everything before I ate or drank it. I was shocked at how many things have caffiene in them. Even Excedrine! The woman who gave me the test said most of her patients bring in coffee to have right there the instant the test is over....so I did.

If anything I drink more coffee now that I have braces. The warm coffee seems to soothe my mouth when it hurts. I don't plan to give it up until they make me, then I'll go down kicking and screaming! I drink it straight, can't stand anything at all in it....except for maybe some chocolate! More caffiene.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.