Ceramic of Metal??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sillygirl

Ceramic of Metal??

#1 Post by Sillygirl »

What advice does anyone have on choosing between the two?

Comfort? Durability? Looks? Length of treatment?

Is it worth it to get the ceramic braces?

I will be getting braces within the next month or so, need to choose.

Thanks!! :D

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I don't know if you have talked with your ortho about the braces...but sometimes you don't really have a choice as to which type of bracket you will have. So you definitely need to talk with your ortho about this.

When I do say you might not have a choice...I simply mean that your ortho might tell you that you can't have ceramic braces because of your teeth or because the metal ones will be better for you...etc...

I have ceramic on tops but I will have to get metal ones on the bottom because my ortho said ceramic ones on bottom for me won't be good because they are too strong for my teeth or something...

Remember this though: The type of bracket doesn't mean anything...it's the skill of the ortho that will depend how long and how effective your treatment will be. You will probably read and hear that ceramics take longer or something...but thats not true...it depends on the ortho. Unless your ortho specifically tells you it will take longer, don't think it will just because you hear this.

If you do get to choose, choose the ones you want...I chose ceramics because I didn't want my braces to be too visible. Ceramic braces ARE noticeable...just not that much...you need to be pretty close to someone with ceramic braces to notice them...For me getting ceramics was also less shocking to accept because I am really self-conscious about how people see me with braces...I still can't imagine getting the metal brackets on my bottom...I wish I could get the ceramics but we'll see how it goes.

Hope this helps, good luck and remember, your ortho knows what is best for you...ceramics are great, but so are metal...the important is that you are comfy with the decision you make.

Once again, unless your ortho directly tells you this, ceramics don't take longer!!!! It's the skill of your ortho that matters and determines how long you will be in braces!!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

OneTime

#3 Post by OneTime »

http://www.archwired.com/ceramic_vs_metal_braces.htm

There's the pros and cons about the two.

I went with metal base on price. Comfort, I can barely notice they are there.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Qtgirl

#4 Post by Qtgirl »

Hey SillyGirl, you got some really awesome advice from everyone :D For me, I wanted to get ceramics- they didnt show much and I wanted to be low-key with the whole braces ordeal. Eventually I chose metal braces because the ceramics were more money in my case, and I heard the ligs stained when certain foods were eaten (for certain kinds of ceramic). Plus, I saw someone who had metal and thought it was kinda cute getting to choose different colors and stuff. And if I chose the ceramic--eventually I would want color ligs and that wouldve beaten whole purpose of why I got them (to conceal) :lol: . Whatever decision you choose, you still chose a great choice to be braced, Congrats! Just ask yourself whats more important to be seen in it or not. They are both great treatments.

What advice does anyone have on choosing between the two?

Comfort? Durability? Looks? Length of treatment?

Is it worth it to get the ceramic braces?

I will be getting braces within the next month or so, need to choose.

Thanks!!

Sillygirl

Thanks!!

#5 Post by Sillygirl »

Thank you for all the advice. My Ortho gave a quick mention to ceramic, but because I have a little while before they go on, we didn't get into it much.

When I go Tuesday I will ask him what he thinks. I can't wait to get these spacers out. But then again, I am not sure what the thing he is putting on feels like. Has anyone had the teeth/jaw widener on the roof of the mouth?

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

Raspberry

#6 Post by Raspberry »

I have the same brackets as KK (well from the pictures I'm pretty sure they are the same). And I love both my ceramics and my bottom metals.

My Ortho highly suggests ceramics on top and metals on bottom for his adult patients. They even had it included on my bill before I decided on it.
it was an extra $200 for 8 top ceramics.

I agree with the others that you should discuss it with your Ortho, he'll/she'll know what works best with the type of treatment that he's/she's giving you.