4 front teeth flaring outwards...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lyn

#1 Post by Lyn »

Lucyloop I had a lower go wonky when I had my spring on. It looked so goofy, but it was doing what it was supposed to.....making room for the wayward tooth to fit in. Once the spring came off and the tooth was tied in, it straightened out rather quickly. I think some of the teeth will do that, it's all part of the process!! :flowerbloom:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! This is an interesting topic. I saw a friend today in my Uni. who I haven't seen since junior high (didn't knew she was attending my uni) and she had braces for a really long time in JH but her teeth are completely straight but flaring out!!! I was like :shock: . That's like my biggest fear because mines do flare out a tiny bit already :? I think you should really ask your ortho. about that!
Good Luck
Joana

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! This is an interesting topic. I saw a friend today in my Uni. who I haven't seen since junior high (didn't knew she was attending my uni) and she had braces for a really long time in JH but her teeth are completely straight but flaring out!!! I was like :shock: . That's like my biggest fear because mines do flare out a tiny bit already :? I think you should really ask your ortho. about that!
Good Luck
Joana

Anticipator

#4 Post by Anticipator »

My girlfriend's teeth had a temporary flare as her canines were brought down, I can only assume to make room for the additional teeth.

Now that both canines are down successfully, she's having her overjet (which was increased by the flaring) reduced.

When the flaring was at its most noticible her mom had the insensitivity to make the comment "I hate what the orthodontist is doing to your teeth!"

Mom's always know the best things to say. :roll:
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

WoolieBagLady

#5 Post by WoolieBagLady »

Hi Lucy,

I have an impacted canine and my front teeth are doing that also. My ortho asked me if I was feeling a little "bucky" last time I was in. My understanding is that the flaring out helps to make room for the canine to come in. Maybe moves the roots out of the way?? I guess it will be that way for awhile. I am still waiting for him to say I have enough of a space made before I have my exposure surgery.

Good luck!

Ang

Echo

#6 Post by Echo »

There is an ortho that the local dentist recommends to his patients. Over the years, I have noticed alot of the ortho's patients have had the flaring of the teeth you are speaking of. I have some cousins who went to him, and two have nice teeth, but one of them has the flaring. She is an adult now and is using Invisalign to try and correct it. When it was time for my son to get his braces, I took him elsewhere, afraid his teeth would flare also if he went there. My son still has his braces, but his teeth look great. Needless to say, I went to the same ortho as my son, and I have no flaring as of yet. I'm not sure why that one ortho had so many patients with the flaring.
[/url]

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

If there are no extractions and not enough room after all the teeth are straightened, no gaps, then perhaps thats why there was flaring. In most cases I see the flaring reduced with the power chains towards the end. I have flaring and am waiting for those powerchains. :wink:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

chinadoll

Flaring

#8 Post by chinadoll »

Hi lucyloop,

I don't know if this would be true in your case, but I know in mine I have had a bit more flaring as the natural consequence of levelling my arches before my open bite is closed. It appears some of that is just part of the normal moving process and it will get straightened out (no pun intended :lol: ) in good time. Perhaps that doesn't apply in your case though, since you've been in braces longer...
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

fins

#9 Post by fins »

I thought for a while mine were flaring and the powerchain seemed to help quite a bit and did it's work within a month.

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

One of my front tooth on the side where I have my canine crossbite is starting to move forward a bit...my ortho said that this is happenning because that crossbite is getting into its correct position so the tooth close to it have to move a bit....but it will be corrected later on...So I am pretty sure your will be corrected too.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

My front teeth are flaring and gapping and looking goofy. I am getting a little tired of it. I don't have anything else going on like impacted canines or anything. The gaps seem to be all on one side. I am going to try to get my ortho to start addressing this at my next visit because they have been like that for a long time and I think it is time to get things moving again!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Shawnie

#12 Post by Shawnie »

That's good news Lucy. I bet you're relieved! So now if that happens to me too I won't worry as I have those springs too making a little extra room for the canines.

Take Care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

Joanna20

#13 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! Cool! I'm glad you sorted that out :D

DizzyKitty

#14 Post by DizzyKitty »

I have the flaring now too. I just noticed it this week after my most recent adjustment when they attached the little one to the right of my front top tooth and my remaining fang (not sure what these teeth are called LOL). My molars are touching in this photo and my front teeth used to touch...now I can stick my tongue in between them :shock:

- Dizzy

ingyandbert

#15 Post by ingyandbert »

I've read a lot of topics on this board where people mention their front teeth flaring out during treatment. I wouldn't worry about it for now. It sounds very common and I'm sure it's usually corrected later in treatment. Ask your ortho at what point that will be corrected and then watch toward the end of your treatment to make sure it's corrected to your satisfaction.