New here...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sillygirl

New here...

#1 Post by Sillygirl »

Hello all,

I am new to the site and will be getting braces soon. I am 29 years old.
I currently have spacers between my upper molars. On Tuesday, the Ortho is putting rings around my molars and putting something across the roof of my mouth to push outwards on my teeth. On the 22 of this month they are extracting 5 teeth (ouch), one wisdom tooth and 4 permanent. The doc says I have too many teeth in my mouth and my teeth have grown crocked and my jaw also developed wrong. The left side of my jaw locks closed sometimes (not very cool... and it's painful) So after the braces are on for about 1 to 1-1/2 years, they want to do surgery to bring my lower jaw forward and center it.
Sooo, :cry:
I am hoping this website will help me cope and help with any questions I may have along the way.

Thanks-

Super Soo

#2 Post by Super Soo »

Ouch 5 teeth! That sounds painful!

I had mine fitted 6 days ago and had 3 teeth extracted beforehand. Have found this site really really informative and a good way of cheering you up if you are feeling down about it.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Sue

x x
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Welcome to the board!

I was really lucky in that I only need braces...no expanders, spacers, extractions, surgeries, or anything like that.

I did have 3 extractions done a few months ago and it really isn't too bad so don't worry too much about it. Good luck with the extractions!

Let us know how it goes :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Sillygirl

#4 Post by Sillygirl »

Thanks Sue.

I am nervous about the whole thing. Eating is going to be a challenge I'm assuming. I have the spacers in now and my teeth are pretty sore when I eat. I am guessing it will be about the same if not worse when the braces go on.

Super Soo

#5 Post by Super Soo »

To be honest the first 3 days were quite hard going but now on day 6 I'm not in any pain at all and am beginning to get the hang of chewing again so it does get better believe me!

I'm in the impatient stage at the moment I keep checking my teeth out every time I walk past a mirror to see if I can see any changes!
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

OneTime

#6 Post by OneTime »

Hang in there sillygirl, it will get better.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

Welcome to this awsome board SIllygirl! :-1

Honestly, spacers are worse than braces, so if you can make it through those you can you'll be fine! :wink:

I had 6 extractions at once and the exposure of two impacted canines and it was a little painful but it wasn't too bad! Just really hard to chew for a while, I mean I had like no teeth! :roll: And I still haven't had my wisdom teeth removed! :shock:

Good luck with your extractions and keep us posted! :D

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

mom2katielynn

new too

#8 Post by mom2katielynn »

hello all,
i am new here too and on my way to braces. i got my spacers in today and tonight my teeth are quite sore! i have to have two teeth extracted and i have a few teeth that need fillings. i have had extractions before, but not fillings so im quite nervous about that. im told that i will get my braces on next week on the 15th and treatment should last 2 years, maybe 2 1/2. not thrilled about that but im willing to do what it takes to get a straight healthy smile. im learning that i probaly wont get all my braces on in one day. how long does it take before that happens? does that mean my countdown wont officially start till they are all on? i am 28 years old and i feel like a kid again, all these questions! just glad to find a resourceful site like this one. wish me luck! and good luck to everyone else, and silly girl, i hope your pain disipates soon :D

Sillygirl

#9 Post by Sillygirl »

Thanks Mom2...
I go to the Ortho today to get the spacers removed and something else put in. I am not exactly sure the name of it, but they are putting metal bands aroud my molars then something across the roof of my mouth for outward pressure. We'll see.
How long are your spacers in for? Mine have been in for one week. The tenderness started on day two and never went away for me. But I have heard from several people that the spacers are the worst.
And for the countdown, the time they give you is total treatment time. From the time they do anything to your teeth, so the spacers count. At least that is what my ortho said. Fillings are not bad. They numb you and you don't feel it at all. When the numbness goes away, you can't tell anything was done. You might be sore where they numb you at.
I am 29 and feel the same way. I do alot of talking throughout the day (I teach at a work-adjustment program for adults) and am really nervous about the talking funny part, the not being able to close your lips properly for a while. all the wierd things you have to deal with at the beginning.
But....we will all make it through this just fine.

Off to the Orho I go :-*

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

mom2katielynn

#10 Post by mom2katielynn »

i will have my spacers on for 9 days when they get started with the braces. it is only day two and already i cant wait for next week to get here! ive taken a motrin and that seems to really help, and its great to here that this is about the worst of it! i feel a lot better about having to get the fillings now, ive had the shot before and i can deal with that relatively fine. im anxious to see when my dentist is going to extract the two teeth the ortho wants out, guess i'll find that out tomorrow. take care folks and i'll check back later... my little ones are calling for mommy!