Do wisdom tooth extractions "count"?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinadoll

Do wisdom tooth extractions "count"?

#1 Post by chinadoll »

Hi all,

I'm 26 years old now and had my first orthodontic consult at age 13. The ortho said he would need to pull teeth and I didn't want to, so never went through with it.

I was so relieved when my current ortho said he felt extractions were unnecessary; in fact, he was quite opposed to them in my case. However, come to think of it, I'm a little uneasy, wondering... how could they have been necessary 13 years ago, but not now? By the way, I have a Class 1 open bite.

The only thing I can come up with is that about 5 years ago I had all four wisdom teeth extracted. Does having wisdom teeth taken out count as an extraction, in the sense that it creates more space for your teeth to move? Maybe that sounds like a weird question but I hope I'm being clear.

Thanks.
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

nimo

#2 Post by nimo »

I definitely would count them as an extraction. Any time you take teeth out you're giving more space for your other teeth to move around. My bottom teeth have practically nowhere to go, so getting my wisdom teeth out will let them all start moving more easily.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

chinadoll,
Different orthos have different treatment plans. I am not sure if you went to more than one ortho for a consult, but if you did you would likely have gotten a different treatment plan than the first ortho.

I dont think that your wisdoms would count since you were young when you had your first consult.( and the wisdoms wouldnt have been in the picture at that time)

My suggestion is to go for a second and third opinion and choose the one that you feel the most comfortable with. It is really important to trust your ortho and the treatment plan they have for you.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

chinadoll

#4 Post by chinadoll »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Kim, you're definitely right about getting multiple opinions. Unfortunately I don't have many options where I live but luckily the ortho I am going to has been recommended highly and I like him a lot. The idea of extractions makes me nervous...I hated having my wisdom teeth out...I will see how this goes.

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

Good Luck chinadoll! :) I didnt have to have any extractions either but had my wisdom teeth out and your right, they were not too fun. :?

That is great that your ortho is so good and you like him! Did you ask him why his consult was so different from your first one at 13? I bet that he would be happy to talk to you about it. So when does your brace journey start?
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

Do you know which teeth the first ortho wanted to extract? If they were the wisdom teeth (plus at least one other), then I think the extraction of your wisdom teeth would definitely count.

CelestialVoices

#7 Post by CelestialVoices »

Good luck Chinadoll! I'm sure everything will go just fine. :)

brat 2

#8 Post by brat 2 »

I consulted with 2 different orthos and the first one I went to said I would need to have 8 teeth pulled, all 4 wisdom teeth and four others to make room. The one I am currently using is more conservative and said he wouldn't need to pull any at all. Some orthos are just more conservative than others with thier treatment plans.
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Maybe your mouth grew a little since you were 13. My daughter's first consult when she was about that age, they wanted to pull 8 teeth. I said no way. Now she just got her braces at 26 and she had lots of crowding but everything seems to have straighted out fine with no extractions. (She did have wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago)

Also, maybe orthodontic methods have improved some in the last 13 years. That is one reason I didn't go to my first daughter's ortho. He is way past retirement age (in my opinion) and I wanted to make sure I was getting the newest technology. I'm not sure this guy had that when he did my daughter's in the 80's. In fact he was talking retirement back then. He is also a friend of the family, and I wanted to stay away from that whole scenario.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

chinadoll

#10 Post by chinadoll »

Thanks for the great replies, everyone. Good point, Way Too Old For This, I never thought about my mouth growing, but it would make sense...brat2, it is so interesting to hear that you heard such drastically different treatment options from two orthos. I guess it just goes to show that there are lots of opinions and you should go with the most comfortable one. Betty Bat, not sure about which teeth the ortho from 13 years ago wanted to pull...maybe my mom would remember. CelestialVoices, thanks for your positive attitude--I've read elsewhere on the board that attitude makes a big difference, so I try to keep my smiles big! KJM, it's a great idea to ask him about why the consults were so different... I have told him that someone previously suggested extractions, and he said he really disagreed with that. To answer your question, I am already in braces (started Jan. 06) and you can see some pics at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=9718