Teeth grinding / bruxism

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lin

Teeth grinding / bruxism

#1 Post by Lin »

Before braces, I never clenched or ground my teeth at night. But now, with them on, I find that very often I wake up feeling sore from having clenched/ground my teeth all night... sometimes I clench/grind my teeth during the day now, too, but when I am aware of it I can stop it.

My top teeth hit my bottom brackets, and one night I think my top teeth actually sawed off a bumper lig on one of the bottom brackets during the grinding! I guess I swallowed it, it was gone the next day.

Anyway, does anybody else have this teeth grinding problem or advice on easing it up somehow? Especially at night. I guess there is only so much I can do now that the braces are on?
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

Kourtney Kitty

Nightguard

#2 Post by Kourtney Kitty »

Hey Lin, the only thing I can think of is a night guard. I had to get one for the same issues. Clenching can really screw up your jaws. I am getting braces to permanently fix my jaw so that I dont have to wear my night/day guard anymore. You really have to make a conscious effort to stop the clenching. Let me know if I was able to help, or if you have any more questions.
Kourtney Kitty = Geek Girl = Brace Face! Whoo Hoo!

Lin

#3 Post by Lin »

Hi Kourtney Kitty! Thanks for your reply :) I had heard about nightguards, but I already have braces... and I thought that I couldn't wear a nightguard with braces. Anyone know about this?
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am a big bruxer too. I have heard about nightgaurds that work with braces but I think that you should speak to your ortho about it. Nightguards can sometimes keep your teeth totally apart which could open up your bite. This is something that the ortho may not be too happy about. I am waiting until my braces are off before I use a nightguard. I am just going to suffer because I can't think of tolerating anything else in my mouth right now. I am not trying to discourage you -- I would just speak to the ortho and/or dentist about it.

Let us know what you find out from them. Alternatively you can post on the ask doc forum. I have not seen very many replies from the ortho lately though.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!