Elastics and pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

Elastics and pain

#1 Post by fins »

For those who have elastics, when does the pain stop? I'm wearing mine 24/7 and ouch, I only have ONE but it hurts not only the tooth it's attached to but the teeth next to that one as well! I know I am lucky to have only one elastic but WOW it is a painful one.

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi fins,
Sorry to hear that elastic is causing you grief.
For me it took about a week to be pain free.
That's standard for me after any adjustment though so yours could be sooner.
Good luck with it. I hope you start to feel some relief soon! :thumbsup:

cookie

#3 Post by cookie »

I'm in elastics just now - about 14 hours a day (put them in after dinner then wear them overnight) - think the configuration is Class 2 (lower 1st molar to top canine - both sides).

I must've been really lucky, as apart from the first night I wore them, I've had no pain whatsoever.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

kander

elastics

#4 Post by kander »

hi, i recently had my jaw surgery 2/10/06 lower jaw and chin.
i was wired shut x 2 wks and now in elastics. 2. covering back two
teeth top and bottom. the first week was terrible. i thought i was
getting an infection or cavity it hurt so bad. now exactly one week
later it's just tension. a little ache now and then but nothing like it
was.

do take a pain med there is no reason to suffer through it.
braces on 2/2/05
ceramic top and bottom
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Chris

Re: Elastics and pain

#5 Post by Chris »

fins wrote: I only have ONE but it hurts not only the tooth it's attached to but the teeth next to that one as well! .
Adjacent teeth can hurt too while the others are moving.
I asked about that too since I have those symptoms even without elastics.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

yourgirl

#6 Post by yourgirl »

Hey guys, so my dentist told me to wear elastics 24/7 except when eating, okay there's just no way i can wear them to school, i have linguals so it makes it even worse to speak, so i wear them about 12-14 hrs a day, whenever i'm at home, working out...where i don't really have to talk to anyone, and over night. do you think my teeth won't move, i still think 12-14 hrs a day is quite a bit...

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

If your only wearing you elastics part of the time then your teeth will move back when the elastics are not on. Im in college and i still manage to wear my elastics 24/7 except when brushing. The idea of elastics is to provide a constant but slight pressure to move the teeth / bite.

fins

#8 Post by fins »

Well, I don't even know I am wearing an elastic anymore. I think the elastic really fine tuned my bite within a week or so and I hope my ortho is pleased with the results. I decided to wear mine to eat (since I only have one).

Cookie- I think I have the same configuration as you.
fins

buurin

#9 Post by buurin »

cookie wrote:I'm in elastics just now - about 14 hours a day (put them in after dinner then wear them overnight) - think the configuration is Class 2 (lower 1st molar to top canine - both sides).

I must've been really lucky, as apart from the first night I wore them, I've had no pain whatsoever.
Same here. Today is day of elastics for me! I am told to wear them 24/7 except when eating and replace them first thing daily. I am setup the same config as you are - unless my ortho tells me otherwise. And thanks to whatever your favourite deity is my teeth feel tight but not really painful.

I'm going in again in another 3 weeks, at which time I'll pay the last of the 20 instalments. :BigGrin:

cookie

#10 Post by cookie »

I've been "upgraded" to wearing my elastics in Class 2 formation 24/7 now - after I was hasslinghim about speeding up my treatment so I can get these braces off ASAP.

Must admit, it feels a lot tighter wearing them all the time, but still no pain.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005