Worst Adjustment EVER!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

#16 Post by ingyandbert »

Marzipan wrote:That scenario is awful and not excusable. I agree with the person above who says to call the office and tell them not to schedule that tech to work on you again.

I'm a big advocate of saying upfront how I feel about things. When medical/dental/ortho personnel come at me with needles, pliars, etc., I usually start by saying, "Tell me what you are going to do." I might also say, "Warn me when you are getting a needle out, because I'm going to close my eyes." Or "How long will the lip spreaders be on?" or "Will I be able to swallow while it's in my mouth?" I always say it nicely and have had good results. I'm an adult and I have a right to know and to be fully involved in all medical/dental procedures being done to me.
Marzipan, that was me you agreed with and now I'm going to agree with you. I ALWAYS ask questions of my medical/dental providers and ask them to tell me in detail what is going to occur. The reason many of them don't offer up the details without being asked is because some patients are squeamish and don't want to know. I'm just the opposite; I want to know everything. Once they realize that, they are happy to share information. My approach to my medical/dental care is that as a patient I am an EQUAL partner with the practitioners and have a right to know the details of my treatment and to voice my opinion or feelings on what is going to happen. I definitely feel that I get better care by being more involved in my treatment than if I simply rolled over and let them do whatever they want. There have been times when my questions have led my practitioners to think further about some issue and come to a better conclusion or solution than they had before I questioned it. My advice is don't just be a body in a chair; involve yourself in your treatment.

joygoss

#17 Post by joygoss »

I agree with some of the others. Definately talk to the ortho and ask not to be scheduled with them anymore. We are paying a lot of money for treatment and it can only be expected that we be treated with professionalism, and most of all, respect. When I schedule my future appointments, the office manager asks me who I want to be with. And, that's how it should be. If she's not available, they tell me times when she is available so I don't have to be seen by someone new.

Good luck and I hope the next adjustment is much better for you!

Leslie022

#18 Post by Leslie022 »

joygoss wrote:When I schedule my future appointments, the office manager asks me who I want to be with.
My ortho runs his office differently. From the very beginning, we are assigned an assistant. Our appointments are scheduled for days they will be in the office, and she will be with us the entire treatment course - barring anything happening (sickness, leaving the practice, etc.).
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top