Expander problem

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sillygirl

Expander problem

#1 Post by Sillygirl »

My expander was put on Tuesday and my cheeks have adjusted to the metal on the outside of my molars, but my tongue is very, very raw.

I have been rinsing with warm salt water, at least 5 times throughout the day. This morning it burned horribly when I rinsed. I drank some herbal tea and that hurt.

I am trying to refrain from talking too much today, but with my job, that is hard to do. I teach at a work adjustment center and have 15 students (adults students, so they understand) but I have to talk.

When I wake up in the morning, my tongue feels like it has been sliced up. I am a nose breather so my mouth is closed and closed tight all night, so my tongue is pressed against the expander.

Will the salt water rinsing eventually toughen up my tongue, or is there something else I need to know? I go back on April 18 for an adjustment to the expander.

My extractions appointment has changed. I now have to go to my oral surgeon on March 28 instead of March 22. My dentist cannot pull my wisdom tooth. So instead of having two procedures done, I am having all teeth pulled by the oral surgeon (who is the same person that will do my jaw surgery when the time comes).

Any suggestions for the tongue issue??

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

summergirl

#2 Post by summergirl »

Hi Sillygirl
I had a very very hard time getting used to mine too.I know how you feel.You can try maylox it is very soothing rinse several times a day.I found salt water irritated mine. Everyone is different though.Try it see if it helps,please post if it does.
Summergirl

LUV2SING

painful tongue

#3 Post by LUV2SING »

I have the perfect pain relief. I had my expander put on 03/02/06 and by Saturday, I thought I was going to die. It hurt so bad it went all the way to my throat. That's when I came up with the idea. Since my throat hurt I thought about Sucrets sore throat lozenges. I ended up getting Cepacol numbing lozenges. I nearly cried from relief. On a positive note, 2 days ago my tongue stopped hurting entirely. There is light at the end of the tunnel! I told my orthodontist assistant about it, she thought it was brilliant. I swear it will get better. Hang in there.

Raspberry

#4 Post by Raspberry »

I used those cepocol losenges when my wayward(now extracted) tooth used to cut up the bottom of my tongue... They helped so much... try the Honey Lemon flavor.. .mmmmmmmm..

Sillygirl

#5 Post by Sillygirl »

Thanks all.
I will definately try that. Good idea!!
With the weekend coming up, I can control how much talking I do, so that may help as well.

Thanks again :wink: