what to expect w/headgear

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ren

what to expect w/headgear

#1 Post by ren »

Hi all,

I think I'm nearing the end of my 1 1/2 years with the palate expander :!: and think that headgear is next on my list of torture devices to wear.....Has/is anybody wearing it? I'm supposed to wear mine at night and am extremely worried about sleeping with it on. I'm not the best sleeper at night now and cannot afford to lose sleep with this whole process. Can you guys let me know what I should expect with this thing? I have had the tubes where the headgear connects to my upper molars and was wondering how the pain was going to be when he brings those down with the headgear. Is this going to hurt REALLY bad? I'm soo nervous as I remember wearing the spacers on my molars hurt a lot and I have a feeling this is going to be worse. Help!

Renee 8)

HeadgearJoe

Re: what to expect w/headgear

#2 Post by HeadgearJoe »

ren wrote:Hi all,

I think I'm nearing the end of my 1 1/2 years with the palate expander :!: and think that headgear is next on my list of torture devices to wear.....Has/is anybody wearing it? I'm supposed to wear mine at night and am extremely worried about sleeping with it on. I'm not the best sleeper at night now and cannot afford to lose sleep with this whole process. Can you guys let me know what I should expect with this thing? I have had the tubes where the headgear connects to my upper molars and was wondering how the pain was going to be when he brings those down with the headgear. Is this going to hurt REALLY bad? I'm soo nervous as I remember wearing the spacers on my molars hurt a lot and I have a feeling this is going to be worse. Help!

Renee 8)
hi , the day you get fitted for headgear the ortho will have you take it off an put it on a few times at there office to see if you have any probs doing so, after that you'll put it back on he will tell you how many hours a day your to wear it , the first few hours an days are going to be sore molor city for sure , but the good thing is this to will pass the more you wear your headgear, sleeping at first in headgear isn't fun , but if you get a feather pillow or an openspace pillow you can sleep very well as it takes pressure off the molors from laying on your side ,plus it will leave less of a facebow mark on your face from the pressure of laying on it while sleeping, an most of use headgear wearer's at first DROOL while sleeping but that will get less to , it will take a few weeks to realy get use to it but after a few weeks you will do just fine it's like any other orthodontic appliance you have to get use to it , sorry for the long post hope this helps a bit , HeadgearJoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Firstly try doing a search on headgear i made a post on another thread about this yesterday. I wear headgear at night and i dont paticularly like it. Sleeping with it in took a while to adjust to and even now 6 months later im not too good at sleeping with it because i like to sleep on my front. If i know i need to get sleep that night because of something important that day i just dont wear it.

The tubes on my molars i dont even notice i find my molar bands bore comfortable than my brackets :? i dont know why though. Hopefully you wont be in headgear too long, speak to your ortho im sure theres an alternative.

Any questions feel free to ask.

ren

#4 Post by ren »

thanks SO MUCH for the info you guys! I'm writing questions down for my next appt. to ask him. Thanks for the tips and I'll do some searches on this topic. :D

shinyam

#5 Post by shinyam »

Good luck, Ren! I hope you will finally be able to get your expander out! :D

ren

#6 Post by ren »

Thanks shinyam, this month might be the month it finally comes out! :dance: