Piercings and Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

somethingvague

Piercings and Braces?

#1 Post by somethingvague »

Hey.
I recently got my lip pierced and didn't think too much about my braces and orthodontist... :o I did get a plastic bar so it will damage my teeth as little as possible..

Does anyone else here have an oral piercing with braces?
Does your orthodontist mind? Do you have to take out your bar when you're having your braces changed?

Thanks!

MadeIn1984

#2 Post by MadeIn1984 »

Oh, wow!! I absolutely LOVE lip piercings!! I think they're really attractive. I've been wanting to get one for a while, but I work with kids - kids who are constantly groping and grabbing and tearing at things, so I've decided against it for now! lol

I've been considering getting one of my nips pierced, but then again it goes back to the whole kids issue. :roll:

One of these days... :D
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I have no oral piercings though I always wanted to get my tongue pierced...just too scared!

I would imagine that all oral doctors aren't too happy about oral piercing as it can damage teeth lol.

When I get my braces off, I do want a little diamon on my canine. I have a friend with one and it's gorgeous so I really can't wait to do that :D

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

cleozar2007

#4 Post by cleozar2007 »

I don't have my braces on yet (next Thursday :) ), but I do have a labret stud. I'm going to try and keep it in as long as possible. I don't think it will matter at first. I'm getting only top braces on next week, so I don't think my lip piercing will really get in the way just yet.
The ortho didn't really say anything about it because when I had my records appt. I took it out. I guess I should have asked. :roll:
I've had mine long enough where I can take it out for a couple of hours without it closing. It shrinks a little, but does not close.
If your piercing is new, I don't think it is a good idea to take it out before it is healed or it will close up really fast. I would suggest talking to your ortho and/or piercer to see what they say.

somethingvague

#5 Post by somethingvague »

whee, i've only had it two weeks, but I changed it to a retainer...I hope he doesn't make me take it out cos i had it pierced before and had to take it out for work, and it scarred :(

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

I know someone on here has their lip pierced with braces on here, ive seen the photos. Sorry i cant help more than that.

kayla4644

#7 Post by kayla4644 »

i HAD my labret...left and right side lip and my tongue and well i had to take all of them out except for my tongue piercing....i was a little choked but not as much cuz i did them myself so i only had to pay a few bucks for supplies but i can understand someone who had to ...so i dunno basically mine had to come out
Always listen to your heart, cause even though it's on your left, it's always right.

hollywood_smile

#8 Post by hollywood_smile »

heya im a piercing and tattoo lover lol, but im a swimmer so i cant wear them for too long because of the healing process ihave had, nose, tounge, 2 labret , eyebrow, and navel all of them are off lol, though i dont have braces yet, you had your piercing done 2 weeks ago right? well ive heard that is not ok to heal the piercing wearing retainers full time, or plastic jewelry since its has to many pores so it doesnt let it heal right. its not good either to change the jewelry in labret from 2 to 4 weeks. anyways dont want to blow off your piercing lol1 :lol: but just try to take a good care, and i dont think a titanium jewlry, or surgical steel etc, will make less damage than a retaine on braces speaking u know? it can also get caught on the archwire and still rubbs your gum s and teeth.
anyways. i hope you are doing well, and let us know how your healing process is going, and of course how you deal with braces and piercing at the same time :wink: dont forget sea salt soaks for your piercing.
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

venusasaboy

cause i just love metal..

#9 Post by venusasaboy »

ha-ha i think i am that girl that everybody has seen post pictures with my lip piercing. my orthodontist doesn't care at all. if you have a long post it might get caught in your bottom braces but just ask your piercer to switch to a shorter post and it shouldn't be a problem. a ring is the easiest to deal with when you have braces so if you first get your lip done just get a ring and its easier to get used to. yeah, it shouldn't be a big deal. hope that helps!

oh ps; it WON'T damage your teeth until AFTER you get your braces off, my orthodontist said because the braces stand in the way of your gumline. you just have to be careful of a receeding gumline if you have it for too many years after you braces are off cause it can rub away your gums.
I'm going to have braces forever :[

rockexrolloh

#10 Post by rockexrolloh »

cleozar2007 wrote:I don't have my braces on yet (next Thursday :) ), but I do have a labret stud. I'm going to try and keep it in as long as possible. I don't think it will matter at first. I'm getting only top braces on next week, so I don't think my lip piercing will really get in the way just yet.
The ortho didn't really say anything about it because when I had my records appt. I took it out. I guess I should have asked. :roll:
I've had mine long enough where I can take it out for a couple of hours without it closing. It shrinks a little, but does not close.
If your piercing is new, I don't think it is a good idea to take it out before it is healed or it will close up really fast. I would suggest talking to your ortho and/or piercer to see what they say.
Labret studs are not good at all for your teeth. They can chip the enamel off and damage your teeth really bad. I was going to get one but decided to go with a vertical labret for that reason.

meggles

#11 Post by meggles »

I had a labret piercing for about a year. I had a fishtail which is apparently the best way to go, as opposed to a flat-backed stud, because it sits low and is shaped to your mouth so it isn't rubbing.

However, even with the fishtail (and I put in a normal ring aswell) it rubbed my gums and receded them quite a bit.

I now have quite low gums on my bottom front teeth, and get pain from exposed nerves sometimes.

I was absolutely crushed when I finally had to take it out, but at the same time, if I could go back in time I wouldn't have had it done because of the damage to my teeth.

On a similar note: I have a tongue piercing, and am going tomorrow for my first consult for Invisalign. Does anyone know if the ortho will make me take it out? I've had it for 6 years, I'll be so upset!