UnderBiters (pics of my profile)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blueberry

UnderBiters (pics of my profile)

#1 Post by blueberry »

Hi, i have an underbite, im not sure how bad a one i have as my two front teeth are crossed and are sort of over my bottom teeth, i have no idea what it would look like if they were straight but im sure they would be just behind my bottom teeth. My ortho mentuioned about a change in my profile which had worried me at first but i decided id rather have staright teeth and a "prominant chin"(as he said) than crooked teeth and a minor prominant chin.

What i would like is if anyone else has/had an underbite pictures of the progress/ profile before and after the treatment or even during! and what was their experience, obviously my problem can be that bad as he never mentioned surgery but others' experiences would help alot!

And i have done a search but most posts were quite old and i was curious if there was any new ones :)

thank you so much if anyone can help!

Blue
xxx
heres pics of my profile one is smiling the other isnt

DixielandDelight01

#2 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Your profile looks a lot like mine!!! My underbite isn't severe enough for surgery so it will be treated with braces. My ortho said that he would use braces to lean my bottom teeth inward (never heard of this) so my tops would go down over the bottom. I haven't gotten to talk to him much more about this because he doesn't seem to spent a lot of time with his patients but I'm definately going to be finding out more about this soon.
Well sorry I can't help with before and after pics but just thought I would post.
I do hope some people reply because I would love to see some pics as well.
Goodluck
-Tina

blueberry

#3 Post by blueberry »

hi thanks for your reply my ortho said the same to me lean in my bottom teeth...we'll have to wait and see how it turns out! im sure they know what they are doing...
blue
x

CLAmom

#4 Post by CLAmom »

I have the same problem and a very pointy chin. I don't have pictures either because I am pretty self-conscious about it but seriously, I don't even care about that part as long as my bite is corrected. My ortho says there is a 90% chance that braces alone will do the trick so I'm hanging on that hope that I won't have to end up with a jaw surgery. It is nice to hear there are others out there who are planning to do braces alone. There are so many others on this message board who are prepping for surgery. I have been in braces now for about 2 1/2 weeks and some days I swear those top teeth are just about to go over the bottom. The canines are going to be trouble, I can see because they really gnash into each other right now. Good luck. :dance:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

blueberry

#5 Post by blueberry »

its great that we all can go thorugh this together sort of!
DixielandDelight01
are you in braces now?or are you waiting? if so when are you getting them fitted.
CLAmom youve had yours 2 1/2 weeks and already seeing movement thats great thats some inspiration! Did you have to have extractions? i have to get 4 bicuspids removed before my fitting, which is in April, it really would be great if you cud get some pics! but anyway good luck and please keep me updated im especially interested in cases like mine. I agree with you now, i was put off my the chin thing but now i just cant wait to have a lovely straight smile. Are your teeth getting slanted back at the bottom? Im so glad im not the only one coz thats how it felt the day i went to see the ortho.
Good luck to us all!
blueberry
xxx

DixielandDelight01

#6 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Hey!
I'm so glad we all can relate although its unfortunate we have this problem. I got my spacers in Mar.8 and I'll be getting my braces on Mar. 23. I wonder if the braces somehow move your whole bottom jaw rather than just the teeth. That would be great. At first he said he was going to use a RPE on top but he changed his mind.
I always noticed before I found out I had an underbite that something was not right about my profile. And now that I know it was because of an underbite it is driving me insane. I just want it fixed!! Pretty soon I'm going to be posting some pics-hopefully. I need to charge my camera batteries and find some courage! HA!
Dito for goodluck to us all!
-Tina

CLAmom

#7 Post by CLAmom »

I don't know all of the details of my orthodontist's plans. It was given to me in very general terms by his assistant. I think I was a little in shock in that meeting and should have asked a lot more questions than I did. I have a lot of things going on with my teeth so among other things they are "uprighting" the upper front row and at the same time bringing the bottoms together (there is a lot of spacing between them). This combination of movement I'm hoping will bring my bite together correctly. My underbite I guess is relatively minor in that the top and bottom come together almost straight up and down and when I used to chew I would really have to manuever to break up the food. I hardly even remember how I accomplished this since I have been chewing hardly at all lately. (Man, I am sick of pudding and soup!!) Anyway, I have some missing molars on the bottom already that were pulled when I was a teenager so that should provide ample room for the bottom row to move back while the teeth are coming together. My ortho didn't say anything specific about slanting the bottom row back but I'm sure that will happen at least to a certain degree since they are a bit splayed forward now. I am definitely going to ask for more details at my first adjustment! :HugeGrin:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

blueberry

#8 Post by blueberry »

23rd of march? not that long now! i get my extractions on the 21st. When i was little my baby teeth always touched edge to edge, and my front teeth were straight when they first grew in (the adult ones) and then got squished up, but it seems like my top jaw is narrow and my bottom one is pointy and also forward or too long im not sure which one, only a few years ago did i start to get self councious about how i looked but thats probably coz im a teenager ect. now though im starting to accept how i am, i hated my nose and my brother used to pick on me (in a loving way :S of course) but that sort of started getting to me and i got very depressed then i noticed my jaw aswell, i think i must have had a growth spurt to make it more apparent. My mothers teeth are like mine used to be, her top ones are the same as the bottom and touch edge to edge.
After going to the ortho i cant believe its not just crooked teeth, i have the hardest to correct thing! its just typical. a year ago i wouldnt have dreamed about posting a picture of me let alone a profile one, but now i know how others like to see lol i like to look at pictures so hopefully i can help someone else.
i hope our braces to the trick, although i can eat and speak just fine im sure our new bites will make everything so much easier!
its all so exciting! :)
CLAmom i have loads of questions to ask when i go back, although the next time i will see my ortho will be the day i get the braces! i hope everything goes perfectly with your treatment! im so happy that they are able to fix this type of problem without surgery for us! Your teeth sound how my mothers are hitting bottom and top at the same level i cant describle it but i think thats it. Her teeth are perfectly straight tho she didnt have braces but had a lot of milk teeth exracted.
blue
x
heres some pics so you get an idea of how my teeth are...
ImageImageImageImage
again thank you all for the replies!