Will front teeth always hurt?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Will front teeth always hurt?

#1 Post by genxsis »

Now that I've had my braces for over 5 weeks, I'm wondering about my front teeth pain. It's been there since the beginning and hasn't gotten any better. I've given up eating anything I have to take a bite out of such as cheeseburgers, bannanas, etc. and can only eat what I can put in my mouth with a fork. Does this ever end, or is it consistent?

My back teeth hurt on and off, with a new one hurting every couple days, but the front ones are sensitive when I try to use them ALL the time.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Shawnie

#2 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Genxsis,
Yes it does get better! I had the same problem, couldn't wait to bite into something. I can't remember when it got better. I'm five months in now, it's funny how something bothers you so much, but as soon as it's better you just kind of forget about it. I guess that's a good thing.

I'd bet you are almost there though. Good luck!

Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

braceface1230

#3 Post by braceface1230 »

Yes, like Shawnie said, it will get better. I had a major overjet of my front two teeth, and they were very sore for a long time, until finally they're close to normal. So, hang in there. It's going to get better.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm in my second month of having braces on and I still have sensitivity and soreness in my front teeth...some days its worse than others. When I went for my 2nd adjustment this past monday, he was changing my ligs on my front teeth and I was in so much pain. He noticed because I guess I frowned or something but that was just a bad day I guess. Things will get better. :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

dena

#5 Post by dena »

my front teeth hurt SO badly. they stopped hurting a lot around week 6 or 7...now I have no pain at all, but it looks like the majority of the big movement is done with those teeth. don't worry though! it gets better!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

I'll go along with the previous responses. My braces went on in October, so it's been just over 4 months for me. A few weeks ago, I noticed that I could eat some things that I hadn't tried in a while - like sandwiches! Boy, talk about your moral victories. But, I still haven't tried some of the bigger chewy things, like a hamburger - the one thing I really miss.

I think the whole phenomenon is really interesting (front teeth hurting more than the molars). I wonder if there is an explanation of this anywhere.

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I've gotten to the point where no matter what they do my teeth only hurt for about a day and a half. Once in a while one starts moving a little and gets tender for a day or so. I can't bite with my front teeth very well because they feel sort of weak, like they will pop out if I bite too hard or something.

I have no 'scissor' action anymore with my teeth. Then my bite changes almost daily, its like I'm afraid to keep my teeth unclenched for fear that if I keep them apart too long they will move again and I'll lose whatever bite I have left. I was eating mac-n-cheese the other day and had so much trouble chewing macaroni! It was like when I went to bite down the macaroni slipped away before I could bite it. I swallowed most of it whole I think.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

genxsis

#8 Post by genxsis »

That you everyone for your helpful and encouraging replies! I guess I don't have that far to go til mine get better. I've actually gotten used to the restrictions I've been living with, but it sure will be nice to feel like I can eat normally again. Not being able to do something as simple as going to McDonald's is pretty bad.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Oh goodness, I miss McDonald's soo much. It's my fave place!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006