metal taste?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

library lady

metal taste?

#1 Post by library lady »

Can anyone "taste" their braces? Lately I have had a very strong metal taste in my mouth. If I put my tongue on my bottom molar bands, I can really taste the metal. Now, I am also taking an antibiotic (doxicycline) and I wonder if the medicine is somehow affecting my sense of taste, or if my braces are leaching some type of chemical into my mouth. Has anyone ever experienced a strange taste sensation with their braces?

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

For me I always notice if im starting to get a a fever my sense of smell and taste both get very sensitive, dunno if that helps any but its something to think about.

lionfish

Re: metal taste?

#3 Post by lionfish »

library lady wrote:Can anyone "taste" their braces? Lately I have had a very strong metal taste in my mouth. If I put my tongue on my bottom molar bands, I can really taste the metal. Now, I am also taking an antibiotic (doxicycline) and I wonder if the medicine is somehow affecting my sense of taste, or if my braces are leaching some type of chemical into my mouth. Has anyone ever experienced a strange taste sensation with their braces?
Nope.

It might be the antibiotic. I've taken doxycyclin as an antimalarial prophylactic: is that why you're using it?

brat 2

#4 Post by brat 2 »

I get a metal taste from my bands, but it is not a strong metal taste. Did you have a metal taste at all before starting the antibiotics? Doxycycline causes photosensitivity but I have not heard of it causing any hightened sense of taste. But everyone is different.
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

maneater82

#5 Post by maneater82 »

Got a mouth full of metal and don't taste it at all. (Damon brackets, plus a tongue stud.)

I was just recently on an antibiotic that innocently said in the side effects, "bad taste in mouth"... that equaled a very bitter taste that would wake me out of a codeine-induced slumber, usually on average of once an hour. :shock: It might be that, and it might also be some trapped food, that's an excellent point mentioned. :D

akabraces

medicine

#6 Post by akabraces »

My guess is it's the medicine, because I was just on an antibiotic
and my doctor said I might get a metal taste in my mouth from it--and I did! It was so bizarre! This was 2 weeks ago and now that I'm done taking it the taste is gone!

good luck!

*aka

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Mine taste metalically also. Especially when I put my tongue on the bottom brackets.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Silverware

#8 Post by Silverware »

The brackets never left a taste in my mouth, but I noticed it after I got my bands and expander. I'm guessing its from the expander.

library lady

#9 Post by library lady »

Thanks y'all. I am taking antibiotics for your run of the mill adult acne. The taste thing is getting unbearable, so I need to figure out if it is meds, food stuck, etc. I have had some bleeding around one of my molar bands, but the bad taste seems to becoming from all over my mouth. I am going to call the ortho and try to get in to ask him some questions. I am afraid I might be having some gum infection. I have been taking super good care of my teeth and braces, but maybe my meds are causing some weird reaction. I am calling my ortho now.