Braces on dogs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paw655

Braces on dogs?

#1 Post by paw655 »

Recently I saw a special on "Animal Planet" (US cable TV) about people having braces put on their dog's teeth. Just today I saw an article on the Internet on the same topic.

Both sites stressed that the braces were not for "cosmetic" reasons, and were put on because the dogs were having functional difficulties, or something like that. On the one hand I would move heaven and earth for my beloved cat, but I think the functional difficulties would have to be very severe (i.e she was losing weight because it hurt to eat) before I would go for feline orthodontia.

What does the rest of the crowd think?

Just a note. The average price for the canine orthodontia runs $1,500 and takes about 6-9 months. Wouldn't that be nice!

Samantha08

#2 Post by Samantha08 »

Still no cure for cancer and aids...but our pets can have braces! LOL how crazy is that?

On a serious note, if my pet was in serious pain I would definitely get them.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Yeah i've seen pictures and i'm truly amazed!! I can't believe they do that.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

hollywood_smile

#4 Post by hollywood_smile »

wow!! interesting and funny!!
do you have alink where i can see some pics? lol i cant imagine my dog in braces, since i started reading this thread the first i imagined was the paris hilton's dog in braces, lol cant get a reall image though lol!!! i cant imagine "beethoven" wearing braces!! lol

how do this help dogs?
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

paw655

info on doggy orthodontics

#5 Post by paw655 »

For more information than you would ever have known existed about doggie orthodontics (but only one feeble picture of actual braced dogs, but a number of pictures demonstrating the different malocclusion issues of our poor pups) go to:

http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/ortho ... ontics.htm

hope the link works, as I am lousy with computers.

candygrrrl

#6 Post by candygrrrl »

As someone with years of experience in dog training and behavior, this just gets my goat. Sorry for the mixed pun. It's astonishing to me that our over breeding and bad breeding of the canine species produces dogs with bite problems. This is due in large part to backyard breeders and whack fanciers who insist on perpetuating dozens of breeds with distorted facial characteristics which serve no useful function whatsoever. In my opinion these breeds are genetic aberrations. Dogs are basically domesticated wolves, which are carnivores, which rely on their mouths for their survival. If someone has a dog with a bite so severe it cannot eat or problems so severe it's in constant pain, then let's at least hope the animal is spayed or neutered and not making more poorly bred canine babies.

materialsgirl

#7 Post by materialsgirl »

Oh Karen, what a sad story! That poor dog. :(

candygrrrl, I couldn't agree with you more!

akabraces

dog show braces

#8 Post by akabraces »

Hello!

I've actually done alot of research on canine braces b/c I found it so
absurd when I first heard about it about a year ago...in fact, they are used allllot in dog show circles...it's becoming quite common...

*aka

hollywood_smile

#9 Post by hollywood_smile »

thanks al ot for the link, yea ill search for more KK

wow candygrrrl
great point!!! so true!!!, afterall they are animals, and they have lived thousands of years without human help and stuff to make them eat, and that stuff, they dont need to improve their smile oor their looks. they are animals and they learn their own ways to survive...
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

Doug

#10 Post by Doug »

The hard thing is teaching them how to floss... :wink:

paw655

why would you even...

#11 Post by paw655 »

Well said Doug!

I copied this excerpt from the web site of the Vet School at U. Pennsylvania in the US. It references the AKC, which is the American Kennel Club, the "governing body" of breeding and showing dogs in the US. The relevant item number is 6, but I was too stunned that anyone would even think of doing any of the other numbers that I left them it. For the record, the AKC is a very reputable organization; so this rather greusome list is probably a good thing but kind of makes you wonder...

"A.K.C. lists eleven surgical procedures which would make a dog ineligible to compete in shows because their appearance has been changed by artificial means.

1. The correction of entropion, ectropion, trichiasis, or distichiasis.
2. Trimming, removal or tattooing of the third eyelid (nictitating
membrane).
3. The insertion of an eye prothesis.
4. Correction of harelip, cleft palate, stenotic nares, or an elongated soft
palate resection.
5. Any procedure to change ear set or carriage other than that permitted
by the breed standard.
6. Restorative dental procedures, the use of bands or braces on teeth,
or any alteration of the dental arcade.
7. The removal of excess skin folds or the removal of skin patches to
alter markings.
8. Correction of inguinal, scrotal, or perineal hernias.
9. Alteration of the location of the testes or the insertion of an artificial
testicle.
10. Altering the set or the carriage of the tail."

candygrrrl

#12 Post by candygrrrl »

Ah yes. The AKC. An organization that has its pros and cons. Without going into the utter silliness of dog shows here, suffice to say while there are reputable, responsible AKC-affiliated breeders who also show, most show dogs are, for the most part, aberrations. If a canine is bred strictly for looks and not for function, health issues arise.

Just an example: what the AKC has done to the American Pit Bull Terrier. During the early 20th century, the breed's fanciers, wanting to distance themselves from the dog's fighting heritage, broke away from the UKC registry, took a couple lines, renamed the dog the American Staffordshire Terrier and, voila, the dog you see today at the dog shows: overly large in both body and head, with none of the original breed's working stature. In the Am Staff, we are now beginning to see the kinds of health issues that never before were associated with what is essentially a very hearty, problem free breed. It's happening to all kinds of dogs. I mean, when was the last time you saw a really athletic looking "show" Labrador retriever. They all look like big ol' pudge balls!