How long did it take to get your teeth looking straight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mytch

#16 Post by mytch »

My bottom teeth are perfectly straight and there's only a tiny gap between my top left canine and the tooth to the right of it. I've had braces for 10 months and my teeth were baaaadly overcrowded top and bottom when I got them on. Come to think of it, my bottom teeth were all in line after about 6 months. Top teeth still need a few months.

ItsGavinC

#17 Post by ItsGavinC »

jcdamon3 wrote: I would still love to know - once they are straight how much more work has to be done and how much longer does it take?
The goal is not just to straighten the teeth, but to straighten them and hold them (hence retainers) so that the periodontal fibers can regenerate and keep the teeth straight. Circular fibers that run around teeth don't fully mature for 12-14 months, which is why it's very important to wear retainers.

The work that remains is dependent on your bite and how the teeth meet each other. It does no good to have straight teeth if they aren't functional, right?