How long to fix a deep bite.......?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Geri

How long to fix a deep bite.......?

#1 Post by Geri »

Similar to the other thread about 'how long til straight teeth'....how long does it take/is it taking to fix a deep bite? I have a 90% deep bite and was hoping it won't take too long to fix once my teeth are in a position to move on to that stage.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

leah

bite

#2 Post by leah »

Hi Geri,
I had a 80% overbite and am now down to about 5%. Overcorrected for when my teeth settle so when it's all done should be around 15%. I've had braces for a year and a week. But all teeth move differently. I'm supposed to get them off in about 2 months and my original est. time was 30 months
Good luck and best wishes

Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

mackenzie

#3 Post by mackenzie »

I had about 75% overbite and it took my teeth 4 months to move enough so the bottom braces could go on. But then my brother who had 100% overbite needed only 2 monts to have enough room for his bottoms. A few things I have thought might factor is is he had an expander so maybe his teeth were already loosened up, he is only 13 and I am 16, and I chew gum all day long so I thought maybe the constant pressure was making it hard to extrude my upper molars.

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have a deep bite. I just don't know how deep it was. My brackets were definitely hitting in the beginning! Ouch! It seemed to sort itself out rather quickly! Within a month, I would say my brackets no longer hit. I don't know now, by looking at my teeth, how much I still have to go on my deep bite. All I see is the crowding down below and the gaps up above! :lol: And I see huge improvements mostly in the way my teeth meet on the sides which helps with the issues that I was having in front. My teeth don't touch in front any longer at all when I bite down which is priceless. Lot of improvement and lots to go!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Geri

#5 Post by Geri »

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Leah, it's really encouraging to hear how your deep bite has been so drastically reduced and in such a relatively short time. Gives me hope. Congratulations on getting your braces off early - how great is that?! :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

ItsGavinC

Re: How long to fix a deep bite.......?

#6 Post by ItsGavinC »

Geri wrote:Similar to the other thread about 'how long til straight teeth'....how long does it take/is it taking to fix a deep bite? I have a 90% deep bite and was hoping it won't take too long to fix once my teeth are in a position to move on to that stage.
As you're learning, it's unique for everybody. A fundamental question to ask is *why* you have an overbite. Are your front teeth erupted past where they ought to be, causing them to overlap? Are your back teeth angled so that the upper and lowers don't touch, causing the front teeth to overlap?

Lots of different scenarios for what appears to be the same problem. Likewise, lots of different timeframes and methods for acheiving the same outcome: beautiful teeth that function as they are supposed to.

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

THis is a really interesting post! I too have a deep bite, I'm not really sure what percent though! :roll: Probably 60-75%! It took my ortho 18 months to finally put my bottoms on! :shock:

My top teeth totally touch my bottom brackets and it can get quite annoying! :? How are most deep bites fixed?

Leah: Your story is very inspiring, do you have any pictures?

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!