Doubling Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace12

Doubling Elastics

#1 Post by BraceFace12 »

Okay, so I haven't felt any pain or seen any movement from my elastics yet and I feel like I need to although it's only been 2 weeks. Do you think it would be okay if I doubled them up? Or will that mess up my treatment?
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

No, it's not a good idea to take your treatment into your own hands. Do only what your ortho tells you to do. You may prolong your treatment otherwise.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

NotBob1

#3 Post by NotBob1 »

It can actually be really hard on the roots of your teeth. It -can-, though unlikely, kill the tooth you are pulling so hard on.

I really would not do it.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

Just to add to what the other posters have said:
There's also different strength elastics, so maybe this is a transition to a stronger one.
Trust me - appreciate the fact that you aren't feeling those ones. My 1st ones (a long time ago) kept snapping and so then I got real thick ones. They don't bother me now but at the time they were so painful!
Be patient and i'm sure things will start to happen for you. :wink:

leah

orthos

#5 Post by leah »

It's funny how every treatment is different. Ive been in elastics since August and Im allowed to wear up to 4 at a time. I use 3/16" medium 4.7mm elastics.
I definately not saying do as I do. Talk to you Ortho before you do anything on your own, Please....

Good luck and best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

fins

#6 Post by fins »

I agree with the others, let your ortho decide what to do. My elastic worked within a few days but maybe I only needed a little adjustment and my archwire is working along with it. Even though I see and feel the change, I may still need to wear it for a long time to come. Be patient and things will move eventually.

bombay sapphire

EEK!

#7 Post by bombay sapphire »

I couldn't imagine doubling up the elastics in my mouth. I have had such head aches since having them added a week ago. The one sense of peace is that I will be brace-less in seven days! Advil has been easing the pain.

payoki

elastics

#8 Post by payoki »

your ortho will eventually increase the strength of your elastic. I also started mine with very thin kind, I hardly felt anything but after two more adjustments!!! ouch, now I really feel it. The elastic I'm wearing now is much smaller and thicker and there's alot of pressure on my teeth and my gums are soar so just wait. :D
mother of one.

BraceFace12

#9 Post by BraceFace12 »

Ok, I won't double them. Thanks for everyones replies.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.