BRACES CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

BRACES CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

#1 Post by akabraces »

Greetings!

You would NOT believe it. I just went to Colombia, South America, and thought I was in an absurdist dream or Woody Allen movie. I got off the plane, and literally EVERY woman working in the airport or traveling who was Colombian HAD BRACES!!! NO JOKE! I swear, I had friends with me, other witnesses. I could NOT believe it. I'm supposed to get my braces in a few weeks, and so I've been very nervous about it, wondering if I'm going to go through with it, but when I saw that I was the minority in Colombia for NOT having braces it made me feel so much better about getting them!
Apparently, braces are becoming very popular in Central and South America. It is definitely a status symbol there so people flaunt it and love it like crazy. It was like exposure therapy. After seeing so many older people with braces, I think I'm definitely ready for mine!
So if you're having cold feet, take a trip to Colombia and you'll
be ready to go!

*aka

akabraces

ps thailand

#2 Post by akabraces »

KK,

you would sooo not believe it, I mean it was like some weird experiemental film...every women who opened her mouth had braces or a retainer...
i still can't believe it...it was the best confidence booster about braces...it's considered soooo cool, hip and stuff to have them...

i also forgot to mention that girls in THAILAND think that braces are so cool that now they have orthos who put fake braces on girls and women so they
can look cool!!!

*aka

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I only know one person from South America. He has white, nice, straight teeth. I have never asked him if he had braces before.

I know one other adult that has braces and one that has already gotten hers off.

I have met people in public places that see my braces and start talking to me or I start talking to them. One woman who I met standing in line at Starbucks had invisalign and she commented about my braces. She loved her invisalign! She seems to be about my age. Another person I met in line at Costco and she said she had had braces on for 4 years! I would put her at about my age as well, she had her daughter with her who also had braces.

I think I might know another person who had invisalign but would not admit it!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

drazda

#4 Post by drazda »

akabraces, that's really neat! Ah... I want to take a trip to Columbia.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

dena

#5 Post by dena »

did you like colombia? i'm doing a phd in latin american history but i'll be done witht he braces before i go abroad to do my research. that is so hilarious though--how unexpected!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

hollywood_smile

#6 Post by hollywood_smile »

cool that you visted colombia i think you loved it, ive heard is avery nice place

well im from central america, Mexico to be exact, and braces has been a usual orthodontic treatment, like in some other countries, i dont think here in mexico is becoming a
a status symbol there so people flaunt it and love it like crazy
since theyve existed for ever in here, and we get the same reaction as in other countries, perhaps in colombia but not in mexico.

which awesome places did you visit?
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

akabraces

#7 Post by akabraces »

to answer your questions...

i LOVED colombia...it was beautiful, the people were so welcoming and friendly, and the weather was gorrrrgeous--like 90 degrees!
i swam in the caribbean...it was so warm and tranquil...

but i was working with a group in colombia so i was hooked up with a place to stay and people who could take me around...which was very nice!

*aka

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

I need to head to Columbia as well...it will make me feel better!!!

My assistant manager (about 35) from a previous job last summer has metal braces...still does I think. Otherwise, I don't really see many braces at all. I'm in University and it seems that people either have beautiful teeth because they've had braces as kids, or people have so-so teeth and don't care. I wish I did see more braces!!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

hollywood_smile

#9 Post by hollywood_smile »

wow aka!!

so jealous i have to stuff someday soon!! lol!!!!!
how long did you stay?
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

akabraces

#10 Post by akabraces »

hey hollywood smile,

i stayed in colombia for a week!

was happy every second of it,
exceeded my expectations in
every way!

thanks for asking!

still in disbelief about all that metal!

*aka

ren

#11 Post by ren »

hmmmm...I wonder if braces are covered by their government or their health plans? It sounds like it's a bit different from the "it's cosmetic and we won't cover the cost of adults to have braces" bit that I've gotten too many times over here. sounds like a great place :)
renee

NotBob1

#12 Post by NotBob1 »

Now, I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about people in other countries getting braces or even fake braces as a status symbol.

Possibly this is the deal there?

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Read about this?
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

akabraces

#13 Post by akabraces »

hey notbob!

you're right, there are places where people are getting
fake braces, but that's mostly in asia, particularly thailand right now...

in central and south america, they are actually using real braces...
they never really had access to orthodontic care and now that they do, everyone wants it which why there are so many adults with braces--b/c nobody had them as children...

my friend who lived in el salvador for 10 years witnessed the same recent
phenomenon there, and she said it was more common on adults than children!-which I found to be true in Colombia also...

Some children had braces, but mostly adults...

fascinating though, no?

*aka

rockexrolloh

#14 Post by rockexrolloh »

Flora, are you from Canada? I notice you say Univeristy instead of College...just wondering!

Jesslzz 01

#15 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi!

Well, I'm from Argentina, and I can tell that having braces as an adult is not yet "a fashion trend" over here, but is getting more and more popular nowadays.

As you said, akabraces:
in central and south america, they are actually using real braces...
they never really had access to orthodontic care and now that they do, everyone wants it which why there are so many adults with braces--b/c nobody had them as children...
That is exactly what is going on now. Most of the orthodontists are pretty young because this discipline is kind of new over here. So most people is getting the chance to wear braces these days. Besides that, the payment plans are now better than before, but it is still quite expensive. So sometimes people sees it as a status symbol.

If having braces is a fashion trend in Colombia, it might become a fashion trend over here too. That would be great for me!!!! :lol:

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!