Do I need braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

qwer1234

Do I need braces?

#1 Post by qwer1234 »

Hi, I am a 21 years old guy.

I have the problem that my front lower teeth are wearing away relatively quickly, especially because they are not aligned correctly.

Do you think that I need braces?

Here are some photos:
ImageImageImage

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I can see how your top teeth touching your bottom teeth like that could cause problems. However my best advice is that if your concerned go see an orthodontist, many do consultations for free. Maybe your dentist could refer you or someone on these boards may be in your area and may be able to reccomend you an ortho.

Another option to consider is the cost of braces and if you are really ready for braces. Again the only person who can advise you on treatment is an ortho.

qwer1234

#3 Post by qwer1234 »

Yes, I know that an ortho should advise me, but I think that some may say me yes just for money.
I asked my dentist and he said me that I should consider to get braces only for aesthetic (he doesn't make ortho).
What I think is that my front low teeth will get broken in the future, as one has already broken a little bit (the picture at the middle).

The main problem is :"...and if you are really ready for braces"
I am afraid that I would not get used to; but on the other site I am also a bit afraid that I will loose these teeth.

Dou you think that it will be possible to get braces only on the lower teeth?

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

I would go to 2 or 3 orthos. Find out if braces are a must have or want to have. I think most orthos would be upfront with you. Could you use braces? Probably, most all people could use some straitening. But ask things like, what happens if I don't get braces. Plus, only you know if not having perfectly strait teeth bothers you.

I recommend not getting braces on just the bottom, if you going to spend the money, and get all your teeth done at once.

- Missing Tooth -

qwer1234

#5 Post by qwer1234 »

"I recommend not getting braces on just the bottom, if you going to spend the money, and get all your teeth done at once."

I have thought about that. The main reason is that I am 21 years old and that I will look a bit like a teenager (I know, that I should have done this about 5 years ago, but then my lower teeth weren't worn out).
I am also afraid of having to wear elastics.

August1

#6 Post by August1 »

First off, definitely go get some consultations. Most are free, and I think you'll be surprised by how sincere and candid some orthodontists can be. They probably will all recommend you to get braces, but it's not just because they want your money. Their job is to help you have the healthiest teeth possible, and they are really the only ones who can tell you if you need braces or not.

Sure some people do it just for cosmetic reasons, but as you stated yourself, you're worried about your lower teeth wearing away and possibly breaking teeth.
"I recommend not getting braces on just the bottom, if you going to spend the money, and get all your teeth done at once."

I have thought about that. The main reason is that I am 21 years old and that I will look a bit like a teenager (I know, that I should have done this about 5 years ago, but then my lower teeth weren't worn out).
I am also afraid of having to wear elastics.
The aesthetic issue is something that, I'm sorry to say, you're just going to have to get over. There are alternative solutions such as ceramic braces and Invisalign, but those options aren't always for everyone. Again, see an orthodontist.

I'm a 23 year old male and I just got braces this month. I got them for exactly the same reason that you're thinking about getting them. I was worried about my lower teeth being worn away because they were hitting my upper teeth. You can check out the pictures I have posted on my blog (the address is in my sig). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how others (even strangers) react to your braces. We aren't in elementary school anymore, and people are much more mature and understanding now. I wish I had gotten mine on when I was 21, because by now I'd be done :) The sooner you get them on, the sooner they come off :)

momof2grlz

#7 Post by momof2grlz »

As someone whose bite was misaligned for so long that my bottom teeth are worn off and may require bonding when I'm finished, I'd suggest consulting with 2 or 3 orthos for opinions. When your bite is wrong, braces aren't just for aethestics.

As for whether you are ready to tackle the responsibility of braces, only you can decide that. But if you're worried about losing your teeth later on, you probably know you have a reason to be worried.

It won't hurt to get some advice.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

qwer1234

#8 Post by qwer1234 »

I have also the problem that I grind my teeth when I am nervous.
That's why my front lower teeth are worn down.
Maybe I give up this habit, if I get braces. A friend of mine said me that when he was wearing braces he got used to have his jaws separated.

rockexrolloh

#9 Post by rockexrolloh »

I'd say go for the braces. Most ortho's do a free consultation. You're stuck with your teeth for the rest of your life. A year or two of braces would definitely be worth it in the long run. And if you are worried about looking too much like a teenager, you can always get ceramics. And you can also get clear elastics.
I'd much rather have braces for a year or two than have my teeth wear away. Just a thought!

Teigyr

#10 Post by Teigyr »

I concur to all of the above. And you know...nobody really cares if you have braces. I met my boyfriend AFTER getting braces and he says he noticed them maybe for 30 seconds then no more. Keep in mind I have metal "in your face" style braces.

The other day we were hiking and talking about life and braces and stuff. I actually think I will MISS the little buggers when they are gone. Go figure. They're a pain in the $%@# but they also make me different than a lot of people.

I also had wearing due to a poor bite and especially when you get older, that is scary. Go consult...seriously. They aren't so hurting for money that they'd say you need them when you don't.

qwer1234

#11 Post by qwer1234 »

So, you suggest me to have braces on the top and on the bottom?
I would also like to know, if you get used 100% to braces and elastics? Because a friend of mine who had to wear elastics for 6 months complained about them all the time.

August1

#12 Post by August1 »

qwer1234 wrote:So, you suggest me to have braces on the top and on the bottom?
I would also like to know, if you get used 100% to braces and elastics? Because a friend of mine who had to wear elastics for 6 months complained about them all the time.
Well I can't really speak on elastics, because I don't have them, but I've had my uppers for about 2 weeks and I'm pretty much 100% used to them. I've only had my lowers for about 4 days and I'd say I'm about 75% used to them. They're a little annoying, but if you follow all the advice that's floating around this forum (warm salt water rinses, use the wax, etc) the braces become pretty easy to deal with.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think, because chances are beyond the initial "wow you have braces" they really don't care. I went out last night for St. Patrick's Day (in fact I haven't gone to bed yet :shock: ) and I didn't have any problems meeting/talking to girls. If anything braces are a great conversation starter :D

Dark_angel

#13 Post by Dark_angel »

I have elastics at the moment and at first i hated them they used to rub against my cheeks but after about 2 weeks i didnt even notice them. I like them because it gives my tounge something to play with when im bored.

Where do you live, UK, USA?

qwer1234

#14 Post by qwer1234 »

I live in Spain, near Madrid.
So, it isn't so terrible if you have elastics?

Dark_angel

#15 Post by Dark_angel »

Not at all, i mean the first week there kinda bad, the pressure on the teeth can cause a little bit of pain but your teeth get used to it and your cheeks get used to the elastics too. I forget i have mine in alot of the time.

Its like everything, the first few days are the worst untill your mouth adjusts. I suggest first thing on monday you ring round and get a few consults before you get cold feet. Living near madrid there should be pleanty of choices and a consult dosent mean you have to go through with treatment, it would just give you a much better idea of what might need doing, the cost and if something like invisalin would be suitable to your case.

I used to have removable braces when i was younger and i hated them, they affected my speech and nobody else was in braces so i got bullied alot. Now im in full metals top and bottom, they havent affected my speech at all and at first they did rub a little but there good now. Im happy that im finally doing something about my horrible overject.