WHAT BRACES SHOULD I GET IF I DONT WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THEM.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chelsea28

WHAT BRACES SHOULD I GET IF I DONT WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THEM.

#1 Post by chelsea28 »

hey everyone,
I need some serious help.
Im fourteen years old and i live in vancouver BC.
its a bit old for me to be getting braces because everyone has already had theres removed with great results.
So i want braces that arent visible.. or as invisible as possible.
Money is an issue of course... but my parents have a pretty good plan.
I have done so much research my heads about to explode!
Do Damon braces come in Canada?
what about Speed Braces?
Also, LIngual braces are they really worth it and how much are they approx?
I really need some help
Im considering ceramics too... I just dont want them to be completely out there metal ones.
Please help me and thanks for your time!
Any input of yours would be incredible! thanks :)

hollywood_smile

#2 Post by hollywood_smile »

hey chelsea!! welcome!!! i lived in victoria bc for some time! ;) bc is great place! lol!

anyways, you are just 14 have fun!!, if money is an issue, then why dont youe get metal ones, then your look will be unique!! lol!; and of course wil be a new look you know??
well chelsea, iwouldnt recommend linguals since youre 14 and snogging is a big issue at ur age,and i ve heard is hard to do wearing linguals and hard to adapt.

why dont you get ceramics, there are loads of pics in this forum, and some people have said that even their friends doesnt notice they are wearing braces.

anyway let us know whhat you decide
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/

chelsea28

#3 Post by chelsea28 »

i was tihnking of ceramics but apparently there more painful
thats probably what ill end up getting and i need to get them soon! haha
because everyone alreayd has theres off!
what kind of braces did you have.. or have?
do you know how much ceramics range from in BC?
thank you sooo much :)

chelsea28

#4 Post by chelsea28 »

is there self ligatigng braces that are ceramic?
wouldnt that mean they dont stain!
how exciting
hahaha
lame.. i know
im not getting traditional braces no matter what
at the very least ceramic would be the next option
i used to want lingual ones but im scared of the speech problems.
I will probably end up going iwth ceramic does anyone know the cost approximetly?

chelsea28

#5 Post by chelsea28 »

i definetly love the damon 3's
do you know if their available in canada
and if so how much they are?
i think my best bet would be to go with those or ceramics, i dont have any major problems iwth my teeth just minor crowding
so i think it would be all right to go with those
thanks so much :)

paw655

ceramics

#6 Post by paw655 »

From what you've said and your age (meaning that your bones are still growing), I agree you are probably going to wind up with fixed braces, metal or ceramic.

In the US, at least in the city where I live, ceramics add about $650 USD for upper, and another $650 USD for lower. Here's the catch - most orthos don't put both upper and lower on teens, and often not even adults. Most of us, even when we smile, don't show the lower teeth that much, so most orthos go, at most with adults, ceramic upper and metal lower.

If you feel really strongly, I think you need to be prepared to discuss the issue as an adult with your parents and ortho - like if you really want all ceramic, why is it so important? You are going to need to be ready with a really good argument, other than "I don't want people to see them", because sometimes we have to go through things we don't want. If you have a particular situation (perhaps drama at school where ceramics would put you more at ease on the stage) then you might be able to work with your family. What about offering to contribute to the additional cost as a demonstration that you want to take responsibility for things, too?

Not that I have any experience or knowledge about linguals, but I heard they really do mess up your speech and tear up the inside of your mouth.

What is the ortho saying about all of this?

chelsea28

#7 Post by chelsea28 »

Ive only talked to a few ortho's over the phone just for some quick advice. The reason i wanted to ask you guys first was because i think some input would be good before going to an ortho who will probably just tell me to go for traditional braces.
I want to be able to present a good arguement
I dont really like the look of ceramics because they tend to look...
how do i put this
chunky? on the teeth
but i really dont know haha
all of these good arguements have completely changed my mind.
At first all I wanted was linguals now thats pretty much out of the question because of cost/ speech problems.
I really like damon 3's and SPEED BRACES!
i want them so bad just to get braces off ASAP.
I dont even think they have damon 3's or speed braces at all in canada.
anyway thanks for all of your help write back :)

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

I'm 16 so a little older than you, and I got metal because I don't like that "chunky" look ceramics give that you were talking about. That's the perfect way to describe it! I didn't want people to be wondering what's wrong with my teeth or what's on them, I figured it was better for them to just realize they are braces right away.

naomi

#9 Post by naomi »

Speed braces are definetely used in Canada..I live in Ontario and I have 'em. I totally recommend them because they're small so they don't cover as much tooth as some braces do and the brackets are easier to clean around. In my case they've worked really fast too. I had a lot of progress in just a short time of having them.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono