estimated treatment time uk/usa

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blueberry

estimated treatment time uk/usa

#1 Post by blueberry »

I know this wont be completely true but it seems to me that in the UK treatment time is usually 2 years or under whereas in the USA its 2 years plus (most cases) remember this is just my assumption, so would you like to do a little comparison to see if this is the case, and then leave comments as to why it might be (or may not be)?
Me and my brother have been estimated 18 months, bearing in mind no surgery required and of course im 16 he is twelve it would be interesting to see how adult cases add up. And i would love to hear from those of you from other countries and what is the average there! Just an idea...

Bluex

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I'm 23. Estimated treatment time is 18-24 months for me.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

I'm in the US (east coast) and my treatment time is 18-24 months. I'm 34 and have to sort out a deep bite, lower crowding and upper spacing/gaps. I can see how this little lot would take 18-24 months to correct.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

godawgs

#4 Post by godawgs »

i'm in the west coast in the US and estimated treatment time 18-24 months (24 yrs old; slight class III maloccusion, some crowding and top and bottom, 4 extractions of first bicuspids)

OneTime

#5 Post by OneTime »

I'm in California, usa

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

leah

time

#6 Post by leah »

Hi, I'm in the US. My est. treatment time is 24-30 months and they are coming off in around 2 months...

Best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

sydsmom

#7 Post by sydsmom »

I'm 31, in California, and my treatment time is 24 months.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

paw655

Factor this in

#8 Post by paw655 »

Blue-

In getting responses, don't forget that the time necessry for braces is VERY different from adult (when most bones et al have stopped moving) to youth (when things are more pliable). While there certainly may be a difference US to UK, you need to consider adult versus under-18 as different, too.

rockexrolloh

#9 Post by rockexrolloh »

I'm 18 and my estimated treatment time is only 16 months.

rockexrolloh

#10 Post by rockexrolloh »

sorry, I'm from the US.

kel

#11 Post by kel »

I am 24 and from the UK. My estimated treatment time is two years

cordelia

#12 Post by cordelia »

i am in uk.
one said it will take 18 months with four of my teeth extracted.
another said just under a year with no extraction.
(invisalign cosmetic DENTIST said 7 months -- but i dont believe this one)

two more appointments coming up in a week and a month time.

cookie

#13 Post by cookie »

I'm in the UK. I never really had a real estimate of treatment time - only that it would take "at least a year" - I'm hoping to be debanded in around July - so 15 months of bottom braces, and 18 months of top.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

blueberry

#14 Post by blueberry »

i can see there is so many variations with this so its hard to conduct a proper survey? i know i dont speak for the majority on this board as im only 16, but Maybe its because of extractions, i had noticed around my school everyone seemed to get extractions first, like i have to, but my resarch has led me over the internet to ortho websites that are against extractions and seemingly do a great job without the removal of healthy adult teeth, id be so much more comfy with this, but it seems our orthos do what they have always done if you get me, oh 4 extractions then pull it all back. Australia there are a few aussies (and kiwis :wink: ) so you will have to post to see, if you havent been given a definate date yet then i dont know :) oh dear! most of the american posts said around 24 months and the uk 18months to 2 years like cordelia thats the most common thing around where i live 4 teeth out and 18 months braces, i really wouldnt trust that teeth can be moved and set a little within 7 months i think they are after your money! The under 1 year and no extraction is very interesting, could you give more info about the treatment you need? and do you actually think it could be done with no extraction?
Thank you everyone for taking part although im not quite sure where it leaves us! :)

good luck everyone with your treatment however long its taking!
bluex