One tooth away - midline off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joanna20

One tooth away - midline off?

#1 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! I'm just wondering since my ortho. in the first appoint. said she doesn't know what extractions she's performing yet, she did say my canine was one option if the molars didn't move back. I think she meant extracting a canine only, meaning the other canine would stay (I suppose), but wouldn't the mid line thing be off then? I'm just wondering if anyone has only 1 tooth extracted.
Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Extracting one of the first bicuspids is common.
I don't think extracting a canine is.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Canine's are the most important teeth in one's mouth. Those teeth are extremely important to the bite and the overall functionning of your bite...I've been reading that ortho's will do ANYTHING they can NOT to extract a canine (eye tooth).

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Okay! I hope she reconsiders that option then! Post soon!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

ItsGavinC

#5 Post by ItsGavinC »

Canines are important teeth. They have long roots and serve a primary function in protecting other teeth when chewing.

But to answer your question, extracting only one tooth won't necessarily shift your midline. The function of braces is to move the teeth where they need to be, so any shifting could certainly be overcome (in theory) by the braces.