How do braces give people that "kid-like" appearan

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

QueensNY

How do braces give people that "kid-like" appearan

#1 Post by QueensNY »

I've noticed that the majority of the people i've seen in braces, no matter what the age, tend to develop a very kid-like expression after have being treated for a bit of time (at least 4 months)

So I decided to get braces at the age of 18 and before that, I had the normal adult look for a male..first few months of treatment we're fine, but after 6 months or so and till now (1 yr. 1 month) I began to look younger in appearance..a few friends of mine even said I looked 13 yrs old :lol: It was also extremely hard for me to add bulk to my frame

I also knew someone in his early twenties that had braces and looked very young, but as soon as he had his braces off and switched to a retainer, he began to age at a rapid rate and it also easier, for some reason, to add muscle to his frame:?

So...exactly what about braces causes these things to happen? Could it be a shift in hormone balance caused by the movement of teeth? Normally i guess your teeth are solidified in your pallet during your late teens and if you force to move your teeth excessively, it's something that occurs during your early teens.

Maybe an expert could give an answer because i dont think it's been thought about before :wink:

QueensNY

#2 Post by QueensNY »

oops, the "ce" in appearance was cutoff in my title :(

mackenzie

#3 Post by mackenzie »

I'm 16 and I've had braces for 6 months (yay only 6 more to go!) and I don't think I've started to look any younger. Actually the opposite, I look older because...erm...my boobs had a big growth spurt :D I doubt having braces changes your hormones enough to have any visible physcial changes.

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

I agree, braces definately do give a person a younger sort of look. Maybe it's the stereotype of the typical preteen kid stuck in braces, I don't know, but whatever it is it's really annoying because for once I would love to look my age! It doesn't help that I'm small in stature either...

It's interesting that you brought this up, Id be curious to see everyone else's opinions

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Tin Man

#5 Post by Tin Man »

Alot of it is definantly the teenager stuck in braces. That's one stereotype thats never going away. But also it has to do with the awkwardness and gestures like putting your hand over your mouth when laughing and the "lips closed smile." Having metal (as opposed to ceramic) and adding colors also seems (at least to me) to add to that young look.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#6 Post by nahky »

I've had braces for more than a year. I started working out at the gym 5 months ago. Bulking up is about doing the exercises and regularly supplmenting yourself with a good diet to allow your muscles to recover and grow.

Braces will not make a difference, well it hasnt in my case, unless it is restricting your diet.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

kit

#7 Post by kit »

ok, well on this exact point - I was ASKED FOR ID at a bar at the weekend!!!!!

I'm 28 - and although I do look younger than I am, probably more early 20's - eh, do I really look younger than 18 with my braces on?????
:roll:

Of course all my friends congratulated me on looking young enough to be asked for id - but I blame the braces !!! hee hee - doesnt bother me really though ......
Top - October 20th 2005
Bottom - March 7th 2006
*** Brace Free - May 22nd 2008 ***

freya333

ID!!

#8 Post by freya333 »

kit - tell me about it! i'm 23 and popped to asda to get some wine, as you do, i was id'd at the checkout, i said to the woman this is incredible i have been buying alcohol for 5 years and her response? - 'It's the braces"

I couldn't believe it... SO embarrassed! :oops:

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

Whirliebird

#9 Post by Whirliebird »

Well i'm in my forties, and i got asked for ID going into a bar the other week....... made my day i can tell you. :-*

Some people can't see past the braces.

Also i was talking to someone in another bar who thought i was in my 20's lets just say i didn't put him right.... he wasn't drunk either... he was driving. :P

I will age instantly when they are removed, maybe i will even miss them :lol:
Damon 3's top and bottom

freya333

#10 Post by freya333 »

Hey whirliebird small world - i'm from sutton too - who's your ortho?!

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

cordelia

#11 Post by cordelia »

hey, this is v. interesting, and Whirliebird, huni!
i'm considering invisalign but now i feel like going for braces!!! :P

Dark_angel

#12 Post by Dark_angel »

On the point of being asked for ID im 18 in 2 months and i had a lottery ticket which i had won some money on, so i popped into morrisons and presented the ticket and she asked me for ID i mean i already had the ticket you only have to be 16 :cry: i dont even look 16. I'll admit i do look young but its still not fair.

alexa

#13 Post by alexa »

I do believe that the braces do help make someone look younger, especially if they already have a youthful face/way of dressing/etc. This is why I hate the braces. At least people thought I was around 18 before the braces. Now I've been reduced to people thinking I'm 15 or 16, and seeing as how I'm going to be turning 24 in two months, I don't really appreciate it.

To make it worse, it's embarassing for the people hanging around with me too. I have a habit of going out for Friday night drinks and pool with a co-worker of mine. He's quite a bit older than me. There's nothing going on between us...strictly friendship, but to all of the people in the bar, it looks like he not only is fooling around with a minor, but he's bringing her to a bar that she isn't even old enough to go to in the first place and trying to get her drunk to make his task easier. People have actually commented on it. It totally embarrasses me and I feel so bad for my co-worker friend. :x

Then there are the other people who comment on how nice it is to see a father go out for a friendly drink with his daughter. Jeez. I'm surprised he's willing to hang out with me at all. :roll:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

tractorgirl

#14 Post by tractorgirl »

I think its because people generally associate braces with teenagers... that may be why.. I dont think I look any younger for wearing it... Im 21.. nearly 22... 8)

DizzyKitty

#15 Post by DizzyKitty »

I'm 36 and I am IDed regularly at this party store we buy alcohol at. I was with my husband (who is younger and looks even younger than he is) and our 8 yr old boy. I was thinking "Wouldn't I have had to been 13 to have a kid that age and not be old enough to buy liquor?". She said I looked young, which was normal even pre-braces, but young like 28 maybe, not 20. I said "But I have crow's feet" and she said "so do a lot of 20 yr olds I ID" LOL
- Dizzy