Who here didn't have any extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tkais

#16 Post by tkais »

No extractions either. I had crowding but my expander took care of that.

materialsgirl

#17 Post by materialsgirl »

jcdamon3 wrote:I will not need any extractions. I have crowding, but I have plenty of room to eliminate the crowding by flaring the teeth outward. My teeth were crowded and slanted inward (rather than outward).
I am in this same situation. My teeth are crowded, but they tip inward. By tipping them outward (well, upward, really), there will be room for my crowded teeth to spread out. I had my wisdom teeth extracted several years ago - but that was unrelated to orthodontia.

jaws

#18 Post by jaws »

I went to two different orthos when I was first 'shopping around' for braces. One ortho recommended extracting 4 teeth, while the other said that he didn't want to extract teeth because my face is very dainty, and my arches were already very narrow/small, so my face would look 'sunken in'.

So, I went for the no extraction option, and 11 months later I am happy with my results:

Top Before Braces:

Top After 11 Months:

Bottom Before Braces:

Bottom After 11 Months:

Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

LizzyG

#19 Post by LizzyG »

I've not had any extractions :D but my ortho hasn't totally ruled it out, he is just fairly confident that he can do the job without extractions.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

Lyn

#20 Post by Lyn »

No, I didn't need extractions, and my wisdom teeth came out when I was 16, but I still had lots of crowding. When my ortho suggested "slenderizing" to make room for my lowers, I thought he was crazy and that it would take Forever!! But, after 4 short months, the "magical spring" did the trick!! Good Luck! :D

Image BEFORE

Image AFTER
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

TracyJean

#21 Post by TracyJean »

lilsisbet wrote:I was originally told that I may have to have 1 tooth extracted on the bottom front (leaving an uneven # of teeth). But 1 year later ... everything is falling into place without the need of an extraction. I was very happy.
I was told teh same thing - that I may have to have 1 tooth extracted on the bottom, but my ortho and I agreed to try first without extraction. Having my wisdom teeth removed 16 years ago (under IV sedation) was quite enough for me!
TracyJean

JumpTheDitch

#22 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I did have extractions, though initially that wasn't part of the plan.

The plan was to create room to by shaving between teeth. To be honest I really didn't like the sound of that. I luckily didn't really have any crowding, just overjet and deep bite, with a crooked midline.

Sadly though, the braces went on and my ortho decided there really wasn't enough room to bring the top arch back into line so bye-bye two x upper second bicuspids.

A bit dramatic I guess but I want my teeth fixed and this is how it's getting done!

Soon I get to start the fun game of powerchains and elastics, once everything's levelled out...