I got my elastics today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will

I got my elastics today

#1 Post by Will »

I am around 5 months into my treatment and my ortho decided to give me elastics today... i have a triangular shaped elastic on my right side and a box shaped on my left...

it hurts a lot right now... anyways, what do elastics do? and what do the specific shapes do?
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

blueberry

#2 Post by blueberry »

hey there and good luck with the treatment! alot of people say they see lots of movememnt with their elastics they really get things moving!, so keep taking those pics so you can compare! why dont you do a search for "elastics" and you can see everyone elses experiences with them, you might find someone with the same problems as you! i dont know what the shapes of elastics do, but just have a search around the boards, you'll find all the info you need!
hope things are going how you want them too!
blueberryx

Clo

#3 Post by Clo »

what do elastics do?
Well, ... they pull ...
More specific, the forces run in the same direction as the elastics. So,
in your case, your lowers are pulled up a bit, your uppers pulled down.
Both configurations are used to create that extra firm occlusion. To
make your teeth really lock into each other when you bite down.

I know it can hurt a bit in the beginning. But after some time, you won't
feel them anymore. And later on, you might even feel better when they
are in.

Good luck !

fins

#4 Post by fins »

Right now I have one elastic and I wear it 24/7. It worked within a few days. I don't think about it at all now. I have to say I think you guys/gals who wear several are really handling it well. I hope I can stick with just one.