Food

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joeb1

#16 Post by joeb1 »

I only had lower braces and for me getting food stuck in my teeth was the always the worst part. I never got used to it and the swishing water in my mouth was never very effective.

I always kept a toothpick in my wallet and after eating would excuse myslef to the bathroom and pick out the food. A waterpick is essential as well, but does little good if you are out to eat or at someone elses house.

lionfish

#17 Post by lionfish »

I love hot cross buns, but they tend to go straight to my thighs, so I moderate my intake. But closer to Easter, my OH will get that long faced look he does so well, and hot cross buns it will be for breakfast, with butter and marmalade. Sounds rather good, actually.

cactus

#18 Post by cactus »

someone want to clue me in on how to eat a lettuce salad?

I got my braces on Monday - full metal mouth and a bite plate/plane. The first day I drank smoothies; the second day, soup, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt/granola/blueberries. No problem....

So this evening I tried more solid food - leftover pasta with a sausage/tomato sauce - went fine - sort of a cross between gumming little bits on the roof of my mouth and a bit of chewing on my side teeth. I can't tell if it's the bite plate that is making it difficult for me [because my teeth don't exactly meet enough to chew?], or if I simply haven't become adjusted to how I must chew/position differently with braces. But then I tried to eat a lettuce and tomato salad - the lettuce simply slid around - too thin to do anything with my side teeth, and not soft/smooshy enough to gum it into submission.

Any suggestions other than don't eat lettuce for the next three years?

As a foodie who's seriously into textures, I'm a bit daunted by what is ahead - trying to figure out how I can enjoy my daily apple, raw carrots, almonds etc without whizzing them up in the blender.

Oh well, it'll be over soon! Thanks to all of you with your tips about salt water rinses, staying medicated, and wax, I haven't had any problems so far other than this lettuce stuff....I'm not mentioning how long it takes me to floss.

godawgs

#19 Post by godawgs »

i was never too into them before getting braces but now i love those frozen garden burger patties. they are so filling and easy to eat.
Braces on March 7, 2006
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 mos
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10032