Just got lingual braces...how to help speech?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eless3

Just got lingual braces...how to help speech?

#1 Post by eless3 »

Hi all,

After putting it off for a long time - I'm 22 - I finally took the plunge and got braces. I figured that I had better start sooner than later since every day I spend thinking about it would be one day lost that I could actually be doing something about it. Since I am graduating college and starting my career in August, I decided to go with lingual braces on top and ceramic on the bottom. They are invisible enough for me and my dentist estimates that I will complete treatment in 9-12 months. I'll try to post some pictures soon if I can.

Anyway, I got them on yesterday. I've already seen that a few lower teeth (where I have a bit of crowding) are now almost perfectly aligned! Is it normal to see results this quickly, and if I notice this quick movement early on, is it an indicator that the treatment may go quicker than expected? I'm really excited about this and I think the final result will make my woes worthwhile, but I have a few questions for some fellow lingual patients:

Unfortunately (and expectedly), the lingual braces are having a terrible effect on my speech. I really need to figure out how to speak clearly quickly. It seems like the more I try to get used to the lingual braces, the worse it gets! I noticed that the speech seems to be the best when I get up in the morning and degrades as I talk more. Is this my tongue getting tired or something? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can rapidly improve my pronunciation?

Secondly, and also expectedly, I can't eat ANYTHING. It hurts a LOT to put any pressure on my teeth, and I cannot even close my mouth because one of the upper lingual brackets hits a lower tooth and prevents my molars from contacting each other. Hence, I can't really chew food with my molars even if I wanted to. Is this normal? If so, how long can I expect it to last? I'm so hungry and yogurt doesn't really hit the spot :(

Also, how does one use "Super Floss" on the lingual braces? I brushed my teeth a few times and I can't seem to floss the lingual braces. They seem to get pretty clean with just brushing, but I don't want plaque to build up. I can clean the bottom braces fine (since they're on the outside) but can't floss my bottom teeth because they hurt too much.

Please help! Thanks!

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

Hi, I have no suggestions for you as I don't have lingual braces. I just wanted to congratulate you on taking the plunge now rather than later! And we do love sharing in the excitement of progress, so do post pictures!! :)
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

annie82

#3 Post by annie82 »

hey welcome to the club then!! I've had upper linguals for over a year now so i know how it feels!! the lisping does get better, just be patient and keep on practicing talking. good luck!! and think positive ;)

trentb

#4 Post by trentb »

I have lingual's on the top. I talk a bit different than before. I have to pause and deliberately say some words. But, most of the time, I don't notice it anymore and the severity of the lisp decreased as my tongue got used to them being there.

And other folks adjust quickly too -- they say you speak somewhat different, but find it more cute than troublesome.

The key is to be patient, and articulate.

Good luck!!