Biggest OVERBITE/OVERJET Ever

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chrisk

#16 Post by chrisk »

I think I must have/have had the record. I started out with a 15mm overjet and after 21 months in braces am down to a 10mm overjet. The rest of my overjet is going to be fixed through upper and lower jaw surgery which was supposed to be 11 months ago. I'm still waiting for a date for surgery and hoping to get one soon.

My sister got braces 6 months after me. She started with an 11mm overjet and is down to about 3-4mm. She will be out of braces in September, after 21 months in braces. (She refused to go the surgery route)

Chrisk

ssfw

#17 Post by ssfw »

Hi naomi,

What a reduction in the overjet - that's great! Are they done with the reduction of the overjet? If not, what are they trying to reduce it too? Was it only braces and elastics that reduced your overjet?

ssfw
naomi wrote:
seeminglyshy wrote:
naomi wrote:I guess I have the record here!!! I started out with an 11mm overjet but the last time the orthodontist measured it was down to just 4mm !!!:jump:
Naomi, how long did it take you to make the leap from 10mm to 4mm?

That is excellent!! Sooo encouraging!! :D
It took about a year and a half to get my overjet down to 4mm. However, I didn't have extractions done until over 6 months into treatment. If I'd had the extractions done at the beginning of my treatment my overjet may have been reduced even sooner.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

kballing

#18 Post by kballing »

wow, your braces helped with your overjet? i have to get orthognathic surgery because of mine. i begged them to try and fix it with braces, but nope, they said i have to go through the whole thing. i got palate expansion done last week, so i am beginning the process. no braces yet. hoping to get them on soon.

seeminglyshy

#19 Post by seeminglyshy »

Good question SSFW, I'd love to know the answers as well!

So far my ortho has only mentioned braces and elastics, he didnt even really inform me that I had an overjet, much less such a large one!!

I want to ask him tons of questions, I just have to figure out which ones :?

I think the first one I'll ask is how much my overjet/bite has gone down since being braced.

How much has YOUR overjet decreased so far guys???
ssfw wrote:Hi naomi,

What a reduction in the overjet - that's great! Are they done with the reduction of the overjet? If not, what are they trying to reduce it too? Was it only braces and elastics that reduced your overjet?

ssfw
naomi wrote:
seeminglyshy wrote: Naomi, how long did it take you to make the leap from 10mm to 4mm?

That is excellent!! Sooo encouraging!! :D
It took about a year and a half to get my overjet down to 4mm. However, I didn't have extractions done until over 6 months into treatment. If I'd had the extractions done at the beginning of my treatment my overjet may have been reduced even sooner.
Braced: 9/23/05

Having 4 wisdom teeth extracted: 2/17/06 *ouchie*

Ceramic on top, metal below.

Duration: 2 years

naomi

#20 Post by naomi »

My ortho never once mentioned surgery to fix my overjet. I'm happy that he was able to do so much just by extracting a couple teeth (I had my wisdom teeth removed last fall also but the orthodontist said it wouldn't make a difference to my orthodontic treatment whether I had them removed or not). I saw the biggest improvement in my overjet once I got elastics, they really pulled my teeth back quickly. When the orthodontist measured my overjet last, which was about 3 months ago, he said that I shouldn't expect to see it improve much more before my treatment ends. Even if it isn't reduced a whole lot more I'll still be happy with the improvement I've got.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

myranda_royann

#21 Post by myranda_royann »

I don't know the measurement (will check on Fri) but I do know that my top teeth completely cover my bottom teeth. My bottom teeth even touch the roof of my mouth. I thought it was normal. Also my teeth are so crowded that this will be a interesting experience.
Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own. - Adam Lindsay Gordon

jenstrom

#22 Post by jenstrom »

I had a 13 mm overjet. Yowzers!! :shock: I'm not sure what it's been reduced to but it's come a long ways. I'm supposed to be out of braces June 29th-06, but i'm not holding my breath. :cry:

ukcolin

#23 Post by ukcolin »

Hi

My overjet\bite is about 10mm, ive had two top teeth out and the ortho said he will use the brace to move them back 5mm or so, then im too have jaw surgery!!

My ortho said it would be 18months. The dentist whos doing my jaw surgery said it would be more like 3 years - im hoping 18months :)

Bling Bling

Mine is bigger!

#24 Post by Bling Bling »

You are better off than I am, I have 110% overbite, 10mm overjet AND, I just got my spacers in today so I have even longer to go :) did you or do you have to have greys or a biteplate to correct your bite?